Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dr Sashin: One finger numb, asleep 3 wks. Raynaud's or pinched nerve?
Anon_963 posted:
I have primary Raynaud's and thought this was due to that condition.
However, I've had this ongoing pain in my neck and radiating down my arm for about 5 weeks now. This is a chronic pain that comes on about 2 times a year and this time I'm taking Celebrex and at first that helped.
However, I use ice and heat alternately and the pain just won't go away, and then 3 weeks ago, my pointer finger 'went to sleep'! Just underneath from the base to beneath the fingernail.
Holding my hands down, the tingling starts--like it's 'waking up', but I shake it and warm it, etc. and when I bend my arm or type--like now, it's asleep. It is really uncomfortable alot of the time. Feels like it's burning at times. Sometimes the numbness goes to the base of the thumb and the inside of the middle finger--but the pointer finger is just 'numb and asleep'! Very uncomfortable!!

Is this RA or part of Raynaud's or and indication of a pinced nerve?
Not sure which direction to go. My doctor is out of town, but I have a call in to him to see if I need an MRI to see if I do have a pinched nerve in my neck. I'm in my 70's and female--and have had Raynaud's symptoms (hands and feet) for about 8 years now.
Do I need to see a Rheumatologist or can my internist handle this?
Thanks.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

help with methotrexate side effectsExpert
I recommend all my patients on methotrexate take at least 1 mg of Folic Acid daily to help decrease the risk of side effects. In those ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 29 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.