Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
RA and weight gain
sls1008 posted:
Has anyone else had the problem of weight gain since being diagnosed with RA? I have put on 10 lbs. which I cannot get off after undergoing steroid oral and I.V. treatments. I never changed my diet while on the steroids b/c I was aware that they could make you gain weight, but I figured the weight would fall off after I was finished with the treatments. Well it has been a year now and I am unable to lose a pound, and yes I count calories and exercise daily. I now refuse to take any of the RA medications that has a weight gain indication, but I am so frustrated with this extra weight that I cannot lose. I am also afraid that this extra 10 lbs. will worsen my RA symptoms since now my joints have more weight to handle. Has anyone else had this problem or similar problems? I am not getting much help from the Dr. on this one. Thank you all!

LadyNerilka responded:
I had that same problem after taking steroids for a bit. What help me are HCG drops. Just take them to get that little bit of weight off, then you probably keep it off since it sounds like you already live a healthy life style. When you take the HCG drops you aren't starving like many people (that have never tried it) think. Since you are only needing to lose 10 pounds it's definitely not worth it to buy the really expensive ones. I've used ones that were over $100 for a bottle and $20 for a bottle and they worked the same. If you do try them, since you don't have much to lose, 0.3-0.5 lb per day could be expected.
I hope you find something that works for you!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Rheumatoid Arthritis infographic
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a debilitating condition that can cause inflammation and pain in the joints . In this infographic you will be ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.