Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
RA and Lupus
An_250603 posted:
Is it possible to have both RA and Lupus.

crystalscats responded:
Yes it is very possible. I have both and also FMS and I am a diabetic. People can have many things at one time. I also find that Lupus and R/A have many similar medications they use for both. I have had R/A since a teen and Lupus w/FMS dx about 2 yrs ago. I was not happy with the two new dx's. I had gotten used to the R/A pain and knew something else was wrong but was not ready for Lupus or FMS. Many people with FMS have additional health issues too.

Pamela32 responded:
I have RA and my sister has Lupus. Her doctor has said that she does not have RA, and mine has said that I do not have Lupus. Go figure. My rheumatologist says we're like a negative of the same photograph and that he'd like to see a gene study of us. It is completely possible for a person to have both. Indeed, what our doctors think is so strange is that we do not.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.