Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    RA wrist pain
    An_250663 posted:
    I am newly diagnosed with RA and have been experiencing severe burning and pain in my wrists. Alternating heat and ice and wrapping my wrists has provided some relief, but not enough to function well. I'm too fatigued to take narcotic pain medicine and still do my job well. Can anyone give me advice on something besides narcotics that works?

    xperky responded:
    First of all, sorry to hear of your new diagnosis. I have good relief using Tramadol for pain. It at least cuts it down a little. I actually feel more energy after taking it during the day. Maybe because of the pain relief. Some people get fatigue from it though. Check with your doctor about Tramadol, as it really helps me function.

    Of course, a prescription NSAID can help the pain. I take diclofenac daily, and it helps some. Each person responds differently to the NSAID's out there, so it's trial and error. I had stomach issues with otc Aleve. Had good help with Meloxicam for a year too. Then it stopped working.

    Some people with wrist issues find that wearing a compression glove helps. They are available at drug stores and online. Perhaps wrapping, as you do, is a good option though.
    beautifulOregon replied to xperky's response:
    Yes the Meloxicam does stop working. My friend with Parkinsons is in terrible pain. I finally convinced him to talk to his doctor to change his use of Meloxicam. Everyone is different. I seem to be able to fight my way through paid if I keep busy, but going to bed is another story. I normally can tell if my body is in need of help to get through another few hours. My doctor also asked me to consider Marijuana I have yet to accept that advice.

    Helpful Tips

    Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
    Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    41 of 48 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.