Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
RA wrist pain
An_250663 posted:
I am newly diagnosed with RA and have been experiencing severe burning and pain in my wrists. Alternating heat and ice and wrapping my wrists has provided some relief, but not enough to function well. I'm too fatigued to take narcotic pain medicine and still do my job well. Can anyone give me advice on something besides narcotics that works?

Thanks.

xperky responded:
First of all, sorry to hear of your new diagnosis. I have good relief using Tramadol for pain. It at least cuts it down a little. I actually feel more energy after taking it during the day. Maybe because of the pain relief. Some people get fatigue from it though. Check with your doctor about Tramadol, as it really helps me function.

Of course, a prescription NSAID can help the pain. I take diclofenac daily, and it helps some. Each person responds differently to the NSAID's out there, so it's trial and error. I had stomach issues with otc Aleve. Had good help with Meloxicam for a year too. Then it stopped working.

Some people with wrist issues find that wearing a compression glove helps. They are available at drug stores and online. Perhaps wrapping, as you do, is a good option though.

beautifulOregon replied to xperky's response:
Yes the Meloxicam does stop working. My friend with Parkinsons is in terrible pain. I finally convinced him to talk to his doctor to change his use of Meloxicam. Everyone is different. I seem to be able to fight my way through paid if I keep busy, but going to bed is another story. I normally can tell if my body is in need of help to get through another few hours. My doctor also asked me to consider Marijuana I have yet to accept that advice.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.