Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
32yr old RA female from NZ looking for people my age with this disease
Jadelz posted:
Hi There,

My name is Jade i was diagnosed with RA at the age of 23. After an initial triple cocktail treatment of Plaquenil,, Prednisone and Salazapyrin for 6 (terrible side effected) months i was lucky enough to go into remission for 3 years! Unfortunately i am now pretty severe again and taking so many pills i rattle
I am looking for friendships with girls and guys around my age who know and live with the ups and downs of this horrible disease. No disrespect meant to anyone older with it too, i would still love to hear from you as well, just in little old New Zealand i don't know, have never meet any one my age with it. I am currently on Methotrexate & Folic Acid, Leflunomide, Plaquenil, Prednisone, Tevicole and Omeprozole. Just visited with my Rheumy hoping to start Humira Biological within next 2 months fingers crossed i get funding application approved!!!

Would love to talk with anyone about their experience with this drug?

Take care
Hope today is a "good day" for all!!

EvilScarrlett responded:
I'm not your age (44) but would like to welcome you and wish you luck with the friendships. I have been on 4 biologics in the last 4 years (I've had RA for almost 5 years. Humira was my first biologic) and no remission yet, I think the severity of the illness and markers matter when judging these medications. For me, the TNF blockers never helped for very long which just meant we should try something designed differently.
Good luck ahead and also hope you are having a 'good day'.

Jadelz replied to EvilScarrlett's response:
Hi

Hey thanks so much for your reply. By the way please don't think i meant i just wanted friendships with my age only I just meant most of the people i have spoken to with RA are in their late 60s to 70's and its nice to relate to younger people with how they deal with things. Im really sorry the Biologics have not been too kind to you. I hope that you are on something more successful now?
Cheers

EvilScarrlett replied to Jadelz's response:
Right now just dealing with some perceived liver damage- from methotrexate and tylenol maybe. Now I'm getting an ultrasound though my liver tests have gotten better. The Actemra is great so far. I have never been in remission and I really want my life back. A lot of those older people you see with RA have had it since your or my age (I got it at 39).
Hope you're doing okay too,

Jadelz replied to EvilScarrlett's response:
Im sorry to hear you may have some liver damage that is scary and must be horrible to find out.I hope that you are lucky enough to go into remission and have some enjoyment back in your life and less pain

Take care
J

Mommyfor2 responded:
Hey! Im31 and I was diagnoised about a month ago. Its strange, I can clearly remember my rheumatoid arthritis free days still. 5 months ago I didn't even know what rheumatoid arthritis meant or was.

Mine started 6 weeks after my second child was born. She was hospitalized (turned out she had a flu) and I was so scared. I went to sleep at the hospital alone (my husband wanted a full nights sleep so he went home) and I woke up and my hands hurt so much. I guess I was lucky that I presented with typical symptoms so I was diagnoised quickly. I did my second dose of methotrexate two days ago. I really hope it works. With a toddler and n infant I need relief.

Well, that's my story! What yours? I'm trying to stay positive. I won't read certin websites because its so negative I get panic attacks. Sigh.

ladyferfy responded:
Hi I am also 32 years old. However I live in Washington State. I have never met anyone my age either with RA.

I have been on methotrexate, folic acid, leflumomide, IVs, and most of the biological (including humira which I'm allergic too). Now I am on Cimzia and Plaquenil three times a day. After I switched doctors I have been able to be in remission for the most part since June of 2012!

I work full-time and I'm a graduate student in mental health counseling.. married for five years with no children yet.

if you have any questions, please let me know.

jennifer

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

help with methotrexate side effectsExpert
I recommend all my patients on methotrexate take at least 1 mg of Folic Acid daily to help decrease the risk of side effects. In those ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.