Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
pain in more joints
bettyboop71 posted:
I was newly diagnosed w RA & connective tissue disease & I am now taking 2 herbal remedies (tart cherry & turmeric) & 5 prescribed meds for the symptoms that I have. after starting the last 2 meds I am experiencing more pain in diff joints that were not effected when I 1st was diagnosed & more popping & what I call snapping in several more joints. is this a sign that the disease is getting worse or what could be up w all the noise? every time I move something either snaps or pops. I am waiting for an upcoming apt at the university clinics to find out what other or different treatment I should be on.
any opinions or suggestions are welcome.

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
I have found that cherries and tumeric have anti inflammatory proeprties and I recommend these two natural treatments to my patients. The brand of cherries I recommend is called Cherry Flex which is a paste made of the skin and pulp of the tart Montmorency cherries. I discuss this product in more detail in my book called Natural Arthritis Treatment. You can download a free copy on the website www.naturalarthritistreatment.com. I have less experience with tumeric but am recommending it more.Popping without pain in the joint does not typically indicate an issue. Good luck on your visit.

bettyboop71 replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
thank you will look at recommended website,

julcliff3 replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
Dr Z, my Rheum recommended Cucumin 95% bioavailable curcuminoids/rhizome. 500 mg bid. It is more concentrated than general tumeric and was the supplement actually studied in an RA population. I found some at Vitamin Shoppe by Jarrow. I am sure Whole Foods has it as well. Have you been recommending this particular supplement to your RA pts?

Scott Zashin, MD replied to julcliff3's response:
For my patients who are interested in Tumeric, I typically recommend a product from a company called Euro Medica that has Curcumin and Boswellia, another herb. I looked into studies using Tumeric when working on my book, Natural Arthritis Treatment, but did not find much. I would be interested if you have any information on where this study that you mention was published. I appreciate your comment and interest.
Best regards
Dr. Zashin

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.