Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Being diagnosed with RA
An_251142 posted:
Hi, I have had severe pain in my right wrist for about 3 years now. I developed a lump right on the top of the wrist. I went to get it checked out. I was seen by a plastic surgeon who strongly believed it was a cyst and ordered an MRI to see how big it was and why it was causing so much pain. The MRI showed that there was blood flow, which exed out that it was a cyst. I was then ordered for blood tests.
Later after the results came, I was then sent to a Rheumatologist. She told me that the results came back and although the Rheumatoid Arthritis Factor came out negative, my bone is severely chewed at. She said I have RA. She prescribed for me to go on MTX (5 tablets once a week). Maybe I'm just in denial, but I just don't know. I don't have any other joint pain besides the wrist. Unless it's only just beginning?

So my question is: has anyone else been diagnosed with RA with small amount of joint pain and without the RA factor?

xperky responded:
Did she talk about other blood test results? It's pretty common for people to have RA and a negative RA Factor, and even other negative tests. Usually though, there is pain in multiple joints, very often fatigue, dry eyes, etc. I advise you do some reading about RA and other joint diseases. I also advise you to get a second opinion if you have doubts about starting mtx.

Perhaps a doctor could draw some fluid out of that joint and analyze it.

Sorry you have joint damage!

An_251200 responded:
I was diagnosed

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.