Skip to content
methotrexate
summerroses posted:
I have had JRA for about 40 yrs. i have been in and out of remission, mostly on nsaids however have had flares and pain with fibromyalgia and major joint issues. I didn't want to try methotrexate, but did take it by mouth the first 2 times I tried, and it killed my stomach, like sharp pains that barreled me over.

I gave in again to the pain and tried it injecting it myself, the stomach pains not as severe, but feel like crap about 1.5-2 days after I take the shot, tired , nauseas for 2 days, did I say tired...yeah realllllly fatigued, like i could sleep all day. it scares the hell out of me taking it, as i had cancer about 7 yrs ago, i am not finding great relief, and dont want to live my life feeling sick 3 days out of every week. Anybody have any other ideas re: other alternative therapies?? Been hearing lots about gluten and dairy, sugars etc... thoughts? oh yeah I have been taking zofran with the methotrexate about 1-2 days after it kicks in to help with nausea... that has helped a bit, but overall not a great drug for me anyways

LadyNerilka responded:
Taking 5mg of folic acid daily while on methx can really help cut down on the side affects; it got rid of mine aside from sleeping better 2 days after taking the methx instead of being exhausted all day and nauseous. Also, have you tried any biologic drugs as treatment? They are usually taken with methx but don't have to be.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.