Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My Enbrel has quit
inspgadgt9 posted:
I was diagnosed in April of 1992 of RA. First it was gold shots for 18 months, had the best tan of my life but still suffered in pain. Then here comes Enbrel on the market, the wonder drug. Wondered if it would indeed work. You had to jump through hoops to get on the approved list to even be dispensed this very expensive medicine.
I loved it, hate giving myself shots but the benefits way over weighted the negatives in my book. Now in the last month my Enbrel is not doing as it should. I never thought of it stopping, why would I, I felt great could do just about anything I wanted to for all most 20 years.
Now what am I to do? I have an appt with my RA doc who I think the world of in a few days. We will see I guess. Right now the pain is overwhelming, it is literally in every joint, this flare.
I am having to go back to the way it was when I was first diagnosed and I sincerely hate going backwards. Hot water soaks, hot wax therapy for hands and feet. BIOFREEZE for knees, elbows, shoulders and where else I can reach. Right now it sucks being me, and the people I work with in the 991 center haven't a clue, just how much pain I'm in. I'm ready to cry and nearly took myself to the ER today. Not that they would know what to do. Prayer is wonderful and I know he will never give me more then I can handle, I'm much stronger then lot's of folks. I have to work, some don't so now I start earlier then usual so I can manage my pain. You do what you have to do. The LORD helps those that helps themselves so all I can say is keep at it. My other RA doc gave me 18 months art diagnosis to be in a wheel chair that was 21 years ago. I'm still walking on my own two feet , know that you can too!

bettyboop71 responded:
thank you, you are an inspiration to all with RA. your post makes me feel better in a inspired way.
good luck with your flares and keep up the prayer.

lcover responded:
It sounds like you have done great on Enbrel for a long time. I'm sure it's very discouraging to have it stop working and go through the pain again. I'm sorry to hear that and hope you are getting some relief.

Just hang in there and keep up the prayers! They will be heard. Be sure to rest, take care of yourself and I hope your spirits lift soon.

Bigbets responded:
I am on Embrel for 2 years and feel like I never had RA. I'm trying to decrease the dosage. In the 20 years that you were on Embrel , did you ever have a flare up? I guess I'm still in denial about having RA. I feel great and have started exercising again. Do you think I'm playing with fire trying to wean myself off this medication?

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Going gluten free
Hi! I just wanted to share my journey with y'all! I am only 24 and have had rheumatoid arthritis Since the age of 12. I was on ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.