Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
should i get a shingles vaccine?
bettyboop71 posted:
I am 41 yrs old & I have RA & connective tissue disease. I work with the elderly and around several elderly people. I know of 1 elderly lady whom I have been pretty much staying away from since I found out that she has shingles. I take prednisone, volterin, & plaquenil til june then methotrexate is to be added. both of my grandma's have been through shingles & one of them had a 2nd occurrence I the stories they told me about them is horrible. I do not want to think about me maybe getting them. should I & can I get the shingles vaccine?

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
At this time, the Shingles vaccine is recommended only for people who are over 50. At one time, I did not recommend the vaccine for my patients on immunosuppresants such as prednisone or MTX because it is a live vaccine. For example, the flu shot is a killed vaccine.. Since that time, I have permitted my patients to receive it who are taking these medications. (prednisone needs to be less than 15 mg) At this time, it is not recommended that patients currently taking viologics like Enbrel etc receive the vaccine.

bettyboop71 replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
thank you for your help. this is very good to know.
thanx again

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 37 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.