Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
how many taking methotrexate have lost their hair?
bettyboop71 posted:
I am wondering how many people who have been taking methotrexate have lost or are loosing their hair? I will be starting metho in june, but I am wanting to get my long hair done in a perm, but if I will end up loosing much of it, it will not be worth my time or $ going to the beauty shop to get it permed. also I already have thin fine hair to begin with. I have read that some people loose their hair & some do not. I will just get a trim for now if I will be loosing a lot of hair.
thanks

xperky responded:
I think the percentage of people who take mtx for RA and lose their hair is pretty low. Most doctors rx folic acid to help against such side effects. Still, some do have hair thinning or loss. Most likely it would be gradual.

Part of coping with this disease is doing things that make us feel good. I know I've changed my hair style to be as easy as possible to look good. Lots of days I don't have the energy to hold a blow dryer and brush, etc. So I recommend getting a style that is easy to care for and makes you feel good about yourself.

bettyboop71 replied to xperky's response:
thanx for the info. my hair is long & I like to keep it curly an easy style for me. I am not sure what to expect except what I have read through the info that I have gotten from my rheumy & what I have found online. mayb I should ask for the folic acid right away. also I am starting to take some other vitamins that are for good hair (not sure but the reviews are good for them). also a lady I know that is going through chemo for cancer says she has used these vitamins for her hair to regrow.
thanx again

Mommyfor2 replied to bettyboop71's response:
I was prescribed 5mg daily of folic acid (35 weekly)including the methotrexate day. I wasn't having side effects from methotrexate so without my doctors knowledge I've lowered that to 10mg weekly. I'm hoping it'll lows the methotrexate to help my joints but I'm worried I might lose my hair. 7 weeks and I notice more hair in my brush but I recently gave birth so that might be causing the hair lose.

lcover responded:
I started losing my hair too on methotrexate and they prescribed folic acid to help counteract that.

sfonseca7 replied to lcover's response:
Happy to say I do still have hair on my head even though it has thinned out enough to see a few little bald spots.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Rheumatoid Arthritis infographic
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a debilitating condition that can cause inflammation and pain in the joints . In this infographic you will be ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.