Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Huge price increase for methotrexate
steve73 posted:
My wife has RA. In the last three months the price of her oral methotrexate has increased by a factor of ten! Several alternate sources were checked and the story is the same everywhere. Today the cashier at the pharmacy gasped when she saw the price and asked if maybe my wife would prefer a one month supply rather than three months. There is a link below that seems to point to the problem (although this refers to liquid medication and cancer treatment, it certainly seems to be the right story.) It's time for us to organize, folks. This is appears to be collusion combined with greed among manufacturers. What should be done?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/02/12/proof-of-the-failure-of-free-markets-in-medicine/

xperky responded:
The article is a doosey and points out flaws that need fixing. I am guessing the same thing is happening to doxycyline, which is used to treat lyme disease.

I don't know what the answer might be, but it seems a compromise is in order. Perhaps these businesses could get a tax break on the profits they make on newer drugs IF they continue to make the drugs that don't make them money?

Geesh, greed is ugly.

DC247 responded:
I wish I knew. I'm in the same boat. Cash price of Mtx last month was $15 (mfg Barr) at Costco (and I thought I'd finally found a bargain because CVS was charging $45). Went back this month and they wanted $86 (mfg Stada Pharm). I was in shock - stuck between "this must be a mistake" and "omg I really need this, but can't keep it up at this price point." Also, I thought we were past the shortages of 2012...

Agree w/you Xperky, greed is ugly ... and it kills.

xo1rider responded:
Yep, I last got a 90 day supply from Costco mail in Rx for about $54, I ordered another supply and was quoted $60 then got an email today letting me know it was now $282 did I still want it?

Called around and found the lowest price at Walmart for about $220.

An_252988 responded:
My price for methotrexate 2.5 mg pills was 54.73 in January, 62.88 on May 2, and 182.55 on July 26! I would like to know the real story behind the huge leap in just 10 weeks. Does anyone know? This is without insurance paying on any of the 3 orders for me to meet my annual Rx deductible.

sroar replied to An_252988's response:
From American Society of Health-System Pharmacists:

http://www.ashp.org/DrugShortages/Current/Bulletin.aspx?id=961

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Going gluten free
Hi! I just wanted to share my journey with y'all! I am only 24 and have had rheumatoid arthritis Since the age of 12. I was on ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.