Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
RA/muscles
MomMom1958 posted:
Just wondering if there is any correlation with RA and my thigh muscles aching. When I sit down, and get up, I have to use something to help me get up. I also find, that if I attempt to run, it's hard to lift my legs. My rheumatologist is no help at all, keeps saying that my issues are not RA related. If anyone has had similar issues, please email me as I may forget to check here. ??

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
There is a condition called Polymyalgia Rheumatica where patients complain of achiness and stiffness of their thighs and shoulder area that is worse after non activity such as sleeping and improves gets better over an hour or two of movement. If there is actual weakness, I will often refer my patients to a neurologist for evaluation.In any case, a second opinion is always useful if the cause of a problem cannot be determined.

samra1962 responded:
I was diagnosed with RA and Polymyosoitis in 8/12. I thought I just had Ra and my first Rheum did not listen to my symptoms, such as being unable to get up from a chair, difficulty climbing stairs, difficulty raising my arms. I went to a new Rheum who knew right away that I had 2 auto-immune diseases(which is not uncommon) and the bloodwork confirmed it. My CPK was through the roof causing the muscle weakness and damage. I am much improved on Imuran and a low dose pred. I hope this helps. I cannot,sadly find a lot of info on Ploymyositis.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.