Includes Expert Content
Plaquenil
An_251953 posted:
I started taking plaquenil about 5 days ago. I have been experiencing extreme pain in shoulders, neck and chest area for 3 days. Is this normal?

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
this is not a common side effect that I have seen in my patients but if a new symptoms comes on shortly after starting a new medication, I often have them stop it for a while and retry at a later time if the potential side effect is mild.. It would also be recommended to discuss your new issue with your treating doctor.

Patty104 replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
Thank you for your reply. My rheumatologist didn't think so either. I did end up at the ER over the weekend because the pain was unbearable. After X-rays and a CT scan came back normal, the ER did research plaquenil and found that it could cause muscle pain. I was given muscle relaxers and pain medicine. He did say it may take 30-50 days for plaquenil to be out of my system. My rheumatologist will see me in 4 weeks to re-evaluate me. Since I have fibromyalgia as well, I'm thinking this may have aggravated the muscles, I don't know.