Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is it possible??
Tmkowal posted:
Here is my story. In December 2012 I had ACL surgery on my left knee. Recovery was great. However 2-3 weeks into my physical my right foot started swelling and my hands became painful, numb and tingling. After a week or so, I could no longer make a fist. My ortho doc stated that it was something systemic and referred me to my primary. She thought it was carpal tunnell due to my hypothyroid, even though my levels were just a little low. After upping my medication without relief, she stated that I had carpal tunnel and referred me to a neurologist and also even though my rf factor was negative to see a rheumotologist. The neurologist gave me a nerve conduction study and stated that I had carpal tunnel and needed surgery right away. When I asked about the inflammation in my hands, feet (feet are now swollen like sausages 24/7 - several bumps on my hands) he told me that didn't matter, still need surgery. In the meantime I was seeing the Rheumatologist who tested me and everything came back negative. Put me on gabapentin for the numbness in the hands, prescription for splints (which were a god send for the pain) sent me for hand x rays. All tests were negative, xrays were fine, but since I was still complaining of pain, put me on a NSaid, Nambumetone. The splints were the best in relieving the hand pain, the nambumetone helped a little allowing me to finally close my left hand, but far from pain free. Went to see a hand surgeon who stated that i needed surgery but will not operate until the inflammation in my hands has been treated - he also took xrays and noticed a cyst and some calcification on my left wrist. Went back to my RA doc who previously had stated that we might try an RA drug just to be sure, but when I went back stated that no he doesn't want to do that yet and felt that the Nambumetone was helping, prescribed a higher dose and a six day dose of prednisone (not to take together, the prednisone first then after the 6 days back on the Nambumetone). Well, I wasn't convinced, but figured I would try. The Prednisone was like a miracle after the first day almost all of the pain went away, by the second day I was pain free and all of the numbness was gone!!! Life was beautiful again, I couldn't stop smiling. Then I finished my last dose of the prednisone on Wednesday. Woke up at in the middle of the night with incredible knee pain, hands are numb, beginning to swell, feet are already swelling, but now added to the mix is hip and shoulder pain!! Called and they put me on low dose prednisone 7.5 per day, that did nothing, knee continued to get worse until I could barely walk even with a cane, finally got in to the physician again. This time he gave me another 6 day pack and put me on Leflunomide. Once I ended the 6 pack, the swelling started coming back but not as quickly. Saw a new Rheumatologist, he gave me prednisone again to take as needed. Currently taking 10mg per day, hoping to take every other day once the majority of pain and swelling is gone. So my big question is... could I have received RA (tests are still negative) or whatever this is from the cadaver graft I recieved during my ACL surgery? Every doctor I have asked this question to tells me that it is unlikely, however, I cannot find any research online or information. Does anyone know how I can find out about this??

xperky responded:
Wow, quite a story. I can't believe it took the docs so long to diagnose you with those pronounced symptoms. It seems we need multiple opinions and lots of patience to finally receive a diagnosis.

I suppose anything is possible, regarding catching RA from the graft. Also though, your body went through stress having any surgery, so the RA could have been dormant in you and shown up then.

By the way, people with RA often have tendon problems. Sometimes the dmards help but injuries are injuries, so we need surgeries to help too.

The prednisone sure does help, doesn't it? I was like you, and feeling much better the next day after starting. I am off it now, but am tempted to go back on so I can get this pain down.

Good luck finding answers.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.