Skip to content
New to RA Community, need emotional support
planetamy posted:
Hi,

I was diagnosed with RA about 5-6 years ago and have been fortunate to have a really good rheumatologist. I am on Plaquenil, Methotrexate, Meloxicam, and just started Remicade. However, the road the last year has gotten pretty bumpy. In the last year I had adverse reactions to Zeljan, Humira & Enbrel - hence now on Remicade. All the immunosuppressants have given me lots of respiratory infections.

Even though I'm normally pretty emotionally resilient, I'm starting to get depressed. I quit working both for family reasons and because of the RA and I'm struggling with that right now. I feel really disconnected. My working friends can't relate to my life, and frankly I can't keep up with the other stay-at-home mom's because I'm too tired.

Anyone else been through this?

lcover responded:
Hi,

I can relate to the depression regarding the treatment, meds and the wonderful side effects. It is a very draining process to find the right medication. I went through that when I was first diagnosed and the first two meds were horrible. Everyone here on this community kept telling me to hang in there, I would find the right one and they were right. It just took time. Unfortunately, my RA doc is thinking my med may not be working now and I am not looking forward to switching. I don't want to go through that again.

I also think it helps to talk to people who have RA because they can relate. Keep trying to connect with others be sure to take a mental break once in a while if you can. Do something you enjoy...something that will take your mind off of it for a little bit. There is life beyond RA right?? )

I wish you the best! Take care.

LC

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Rheumatoid Arthritis infographic
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a debilitating condition that can cause inflammation and pain in the joints . In this infographic you will be ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.