Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
newly diagnosed
dgpack posted:
hello all;

I am recently diagnosed (4 mo) and immediately put on methotrexate. after taking the first dose, I got online and did a lot of research, and immediately took myself off the methotrexate due to listed side effects. Needless to say the symptoms got worse, and today I put myself back on the Methotrexate. that stuff scares the hell out of me, Cancer, organ failure, etc. I am now seeing a Naturopathy to determine if I have Leaky Gut Syndrome, which mimics Ra.. I would rather have leaky gut than RA

lcover responded:
Hi DG,

I completely understand! When I was first diagnosed with RA and started reading about side effects, all of them scared me. It seemed like the treatment as was bad as the disease. Unfortunately, I found that with the majority of RA meds.

Methotrexate caused horrible depression and anxiety, I was losing hair and it eventually gave me a lung infection. Next I tried Enbrel which just made me feel horrible. Doctor then put me on Simponi which has worked. It's a once a month injection. It took six months to kick in where I didn't feel so bad and now 2.5 years later it has stopped. After my first experiences, I'm not looking forward to switching.

Everyone is different and responds differently to the meds, that is for sure.

Good luck to you in whatever method you choose to treat your condition.

cheymann responded:
Hi DG,

I was diagnosed last September with RA and OA. I too was put on MTX and like you was scared to death of the side effects. I get pneumonia very often but, when I got pneumonia again in Dec/Jan 2013 it was determined that the MTX was the culprit. My little sister (who was only 55) passed away on Dec. 22nd 2013 due to a rare interstitial lung disease (Hamman-Rich Syndrome). They believe this is also an auto-immune disease. There is no cure and it only took 3 weeks from her first symptom of illness to death. I am currently on Arava now and have not had any problems. I am also taking Tumeric with Curcumin, Black Seed Oil, Milk Thistle, Ginger, Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Beet Root Extract, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12 and prescribed Lovaza ( a very pure fish oil ). I am happy to say that my doctor is pleased with all of my lab results and has also cut my blood pressure medicine in half because the beet root extract has lowered my pressure to a normal 129/70. I am hoping that 1 day I can totally get off blood pressure medicine. Hoping you find what works for you.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Rheumatoid Arthritis infographic
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a debilitating condition that can cause inflammation and pain in the joints . In this infographic you will be ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.