Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Methotrexate Side Effects
ScottieOwner2 posted:
I started my first self injection dose of Methotrexate Friday for Chronic Uveitis. I am wondering if anyone else experienced what I have on their initial dose. I endured a three day headache that felt like my head was in a vice, bouts of nausea but no vomiting, chills with a fever that ran from 100.4 to 101.4. My body from my waist down felt like I had been hit by a Mac truck, every body ached. I will be calling my doctor tomorrow just let her know.

I'm on Folic acid and also my Vitamin D was extremely low so I'm on 2,000 IU daily along with twice weekly mega doses of 50,000 IU for eight weeks and then once a week for four weeks.

I was very worried tonight when the fever spiked and I felt like I could die I was so miserable. Has or did anyone else experience anything like this?

cheymann responded:
I am curious what your doctor had to say. The symptoms you described are the same symptoms I had when I took a
sulfa antibiotics. It was determined I had what they use to call drug fever 30 years ago. I ran a low grade temperature of 100 and I ached all over. I felt like I had the flu. I can no longer take any kind of sulfa drugs because my body although not allergic.......is extremely sensitive. Don't know if this helps you at all.

ScottieOwner2 replied to cheymann's response:
It wasn't the Methotrexate after all. I had a bad urinary tract infection that I didn't know I had. The doctor put me on Ciprofloxin and now he thinks I'm having a reaction to that so it's back to him this morning. I have developed a rash over 1/3 of my back and over my buttocks. It doesn't itch but is sore instead. I started an antihistamine yesterday and I think it's a bit better today. I have run the course of being ill from this mess and am ready to be well.

I appreciate your input - I guess no more Ciprofloxin for me. Not sure if that's a sulfur antiibiotic or not but my problem was UTI except the rash.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

help with methotrexate side effectsExpert
I recommend all my patients on methotrexate take at least 1 mg of Folic Acid daily to help decrease the risk of side effects. In those ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.