Skip to content
Baker's cyst and RA
singingbear posted:
For the last couple of months I have had significant swelling my my upper calf that has now spread to my entire lower leg. I went to the doctor and they first ruled out a blood clot and said I had a baker's cyst. They gave me a week pack of methyprednisolone which worked great for a week. The swelling is now back. Has anyone else had experience with these cyst and what kind of treatment did your doctor offer?

sfonseca7 responded:
3 years ago swelling of my left calf was so bad I took myself to the hospital, It took several days to get like that. It was hot and felt like a musical that would not relax. Never did find out exactly what it was. Was given muscle relaxer and sent home. In a day I was fine. That year was full of many pains .. swellings ... in different areas of the body. One year after that I was diagnosed with RA. My life has been a roller costar of meds ... first good and bad days .. than bad and worse days. Thankfully I'm back to good and bad days. Enjoy the good days and keep posting how you feel it helps to share with those who know what you're talking about.

singingbear replied to sfonseca7's response:
I just got back from rheummy. They are sending me to an orthopedist now. It turns out my simple baker's cyst actually has two lobes and they are both quite large. Now they want to see if the cyst needs to be removed surgically. Oh what fun!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.