Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Getting off the meds
kgriffin11nc posted:
I was diagnosed with RA a few months ago. I have been on a bevy of pills, including methotrexate, for about 5 weeks. I stopped taking them about 1 1/2 weeks ago, and the symptoms have come back. Does this mean I will likely have to be on the pills the rest of my life? I ask because - and yes, I know this sounds bad - but I do miss the occasional party with my friends (i.e., going out and drinking), and I know I can't drink with these meds. Anyone else going through this?

Katy

Mommyfor2 responded:
Yes sadly we will probably all be on these medications for the rest of our lives. Thankfully, even though we can't drink we can hopefully enjoy a better life with less pain because of these meds. There are new drugs in the pipe line that should help RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS without shutting down our immune system. If this pans out, then hopefully then we can drink. I know it sounds silly and minor to doctors - but I really noticed a difference in my social life.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 37 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.