Includes Expert Content
How long does it take from symptoms to diagnosis
christmasnutt7 posted:
I need to find out how long it takes RA to manifest? Does anyone know of studies from reputable hospitals, Dr.'s and etc... that I can get my hands on.

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
Thank you for your question. If I understand what are asking, when will a person develop RA. Typically between the ages of 30-50 but it can occur in kids and elderly. The symptoms may present with the sudden onset of joint pain and swelling over a day or may be more gradual. Doctors typically will wait 6-8 weeks before considering the diagnosis but based on blood testing, they may confirm it sooner.

christmasnutt7 replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
Thank you so much for your reply. More specifically, I think i had the onset of RA in 2004. with both my feet swelling. I went to a podiatrist in 2004 and all he did was showed me how to tape my feet. I am trying to pursue disability (i ended up quitting work cause i would end up crawling by the end of the day) (even with my feet taped). This being said, my hand swelled in 2012 and i was then diagnosed with RA (my CCP test was 250) I maxed out the CCP. I feel my onset was 2004. Is there anything that can substantiate what i feel happened,

dominostreet replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
I went through testing last year. My R factor was 79 and was positive on the ANA,I but showed no results for inflammation. I was started on Plaquinil and had flares about every 6-8 weeks until may. From June on until mid September I've been great, not even stiff in the mornings. The rheumatologist is saying I don't have it, exrayed my hand and still said I don't have it. Now it is beginning to work up again. The pain is as high as an 8 out of 10. Tissues around the major knuckles are swollen, but not red, bones/joints feel like someone or something has stomped on my hand real hard and they feel like they are fractured. I read that if I am still in a lot of pain, that damage is continuing. Can you address this?

undefined replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
Thank you. This is very helpful to have a timeline. From my results of a foot x-ray with no broken bones, but having inflamed tissue - I was wondering why the doctor was not concerned about arthritis. I feel like I've had it on and off for 3 years. But if it does not go away after a month - had it almost 2 weeks, I'll press for blood work.

fordownr replied to dominostreet's response:
You need a new rheumatologist......