Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
How long does it take from symptoms to diagnosis
christmasnutt7 posted:
I need to find out how long it takes RA to manifest? Does anyone know of studies from reputable hospitals, Dr.'s and etc... that I can get my hands on.

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
Thank you for your question. If I understand what are asking, when will a person develop RA. Typically between the ages of 30-50 but it can occur in kids and elderly. The symptoms may present with the sudden onset of joint pain and swelling over a day or may be more gradual. Doctors typically will wait 6-8 weeks before considering the diagnosis but based on blood testing, they may confirm it sooner.

christmasnutt7 replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
Thank you so much for your reply. More specifically, I think i had the onset of RA in 2004. with both my feet swelling. I went to a podiatrist in 2004 and all he did was showed me how to tape my feet. I am trying to pursue disability (i ended up quitting work cause i would end up crawling by the end of the day) (even with my feet taped). This being said, my hand swelled in 2012 and i was then diagnosed with RA (my CCP test was 250) I maxed out the CCP. I feel my onset was 2004. Is there anything that can substantiate what i feel happened,

dominostreet replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
I went through testing last year. My R factor was 79 and was positive on the ANA,I but showed no results for inflammation. I was started on Plaquinil and had flares about every 6-8 weeks until may. From June on until mid September I've been great, not even stiff in the mornings. The rheumatologist is saying I don't have it, exrayed my hand and still said I don't have it. Now it is beginning to work up again. The pain is as high as an 8 out of 10. Tissues around the major knuckles are swollen, but not red, bones/joints feel like someone or something has stomped on my hand real hard and they feel like they are fractured. I read that if I am still in a lot of pain, that damage is continuing. Can you address this?

undefined replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
Thank you. This is very helpful to have a timeline. From my results of a foot x-ray with no broken bones, but having inflamed tissue - I was wondering why the doctor was not concerned about arthritis. I feel like I've had it on and off for 3 years. But if it does not go away after a month - had it almost 2 weeks, I'll press for blood work.

fordownr replied to dominostreet's response:
You need a new rheumatologist......

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.