Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
RA
Nwood944 posted:
Hello, my name is Naomi, I am 18 years old. In May of this year I was officially diagnosed with having RA, I had been suffering with symptoms in various areas since last October. So far I have it in both hands, both wrists, both knees, both ankles and it is now starting in my hips. When I was first diagnosed I was started on treatment of sulfasalazine which was started as a low dose and gradually went up to 4 tablets a day which are all 500mgs, these tablets however didn't really help as it was getting worse, so I was put on two strong anti-inflammatory tablets both to be taken twice a day, when we found out these weren't working as they should I was put straight onto 20mgs methotraxate a week, which by looking at the doses some of you on here that is a pretty high dose. However I took this for 2 weeks and couldn't take it any longer the whole two weeks I was constantly in the bathroom being sick I just couldn't keep anything down not even my other tablets so I stopped taking them and currently waiting for my next appointment to see what other options there are. Since having a diagnoses I am hardly able to do anything for myself as I am always on constant pain, I keep saying to myself e everything will get back to normal when the tablets start to work, although I know they might never work I have to keep saying it to myself. I am in full time college at the moment doing child care which has become very difficult to do because I am unable to lift or carry anything especially small children, and on weekends I was working at a care home doing kitchen work and cleaning work, however this week my boss made me feel I wasn't well enough to work, when the truth is I was happy to work as although it was painful doing the jobs that I used to do, I knew that on the long run it would help by keeping me active, but I was told I needed a letter off my consultant to say I'm fit for work and until I have one I was no longer able to go to work which I was very upset that by me having RA I was being treated on such a horrible way by my boss who I had worked for since I was 16 I started to work all weekend doing 8hour shifts, which I loved because earning my own money gave me independence, something that since my diagnosis I have lost a lot of. Since being diagnosed I found that I'm not able to do a lot of, I feel as though my life has been taken away from me before it even started, a lot of people like my friends and family don't understand what it's like to live with RA and what it's like to go from being independent to needing help to do everything in such a short space of time, I was so shocked to be diagnosed with RA and when I was I remained positive as at that time it was only hands, every appointment I go to in the hospital I find out about another joint that is affected, it is spreading fast, and is a lot worse than I first thought, I can no longer use my hands as I used to I have to find new ways to use them to carry things even things like a cup of tea is a very hard thing to carry. But I find the best way to still feel happy about it is to be positive and live as normal life as possible, try and get people to understand that you need to do things for yourself but you need them to be there just incase you can't do it. The thing I've found the hardest through all of this is keeping my relationship going strong, me and my boyfriend have been together for nearly a year now, and I was diagnosed when we were together so he had no idea that it was a possibility, I feel so guilty that he's with me now that I have RA. Before I found out I had this we had plans to start our own family after Christmas as I've always wanted a family ever since I was little, and he is now 25 and settled and also wants one, I think maybe this will slow things down because of my medication but we have both agreed not to let it ruin our plans Thank you, Naomi xx

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

mouth sores
I recently read that when one takes methotrexate as many of us do with RA and Sjogrens Syndrome, it can make your levels of folic acid drop ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.