Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Joint Pain in Hands and Feet
    rlcates posted:
    I have been having joint pain in both hands and feet continuously for about a month. They are already hurting when I get up in the morning and they hurt all day. I sit at a desk all day, so it seems to get worse as the day goes on. In the morning, I am very stiff and usually have to take a 30 minute hot shower to get moving. I was recently diagnosed with trigger finger in my right hand and I have a finger on my left had that is showing early signs of the same thing. I've had this type of pain off and on for over a year with my feet (always just thought it was shoes or overuse) but the pain in my hands is relatively new over the last couple of months.

    My primary care physician closed his office last year and I have yet to find a new one. I went to an orthopedic dr. for the trigger finger, so my biggest question now is, should I make an appt. with a new primary care physician or should I make an appt. with a rheumatologist?
    sfonseca7 responded:
    It might be best to have both a primary care doctor and a rheumatologist. I have the same symptoms as you. Having a good RA Dr. is essential to getting any relief. You are not alone.
    xperky responded:
    It's always good to have a quality primary care physician. You can see him/her for an overall opinion, and to rule out any more obvious culprits. You can also make an appointment with a rheumy as it can be quite a wait time for specialists. Also, check on how your insurance works. You may be required to see your pcp first. Good luck treating the pain.
    An_253331 responded:

    Your history sounds very similar to mine, including the trigger finger. I am not a doctor, but the morning stiffness and pain in both of your hands and both of your feet are hallmark signs of RA. Since you are in consistent pain, I would focus on seeing a rheumatologist as soon as possible. Again, depending on your insurance plan, that may require a referral from a primary care physician.

    Best to you!

    Helpful Tips

    prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
    Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    36 of 40 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.