Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    RA or Not!
    Anon_140573 posted:
    I have been having a lot of pain in my arms and legs. stiffness, burning sensation, pain tingling in my hands and feet. I have been having pain symptoms since I was 12 or 13 years old and I am now 33 and my symptoms have gotten worse. In pain everyday stiffness in my hands and sometimes legs. I had went to the urgent care back in May and told them what was happening. They said I could have RA but they didn't know for sure would have to see a specialist. Urgent care gave me prednisone and Percocet and Vicodin to take for the pain. I could not take either one of them they made me so sick. So I finally got an appointment with a rheumatologist. They told me I could have RA, they did a blood test for RA and several other things. They gave me naproxen to take for the pain and inflammation. Well it doesn't seem to be working. Called about my blood test today and they said everything was normal. The doctor said he was still gonna treat me for RA and he prescribed me a different medicine to take. My question is Could I still have RA even though the blood tests were normal? I don't understand what else could be wrong with me. Please if anyone could help me. I would greatly appreciate it.
    saiga responded:
    Yes,.... your symptoms mirror mine and all my blood tests came back negative over the past year. I finally saw a Rheumatologist who had an MRI done and interpeted by a Dr. specializing in identifing RA on the results.. sure enough that came back positive, found out yesterday. they call it Seronegative RA. Ask your doc about it...
    mommy2isaac responded:
    I was diagnosed with Seronegative RA. It means many of my blood tests for RA come back negative but it is still RA which is inflammatory arthritis (versus OA which is wear and tear of the joints). My doctor says it's treated same as RA with positive test results. First I was put on Methotrexate it I had lung complications from it that they call "methotrexate lung" so immediately went off it. Now I am on Arava with amazing results! It is like a miracle drug for me! Good luck. Don't give up! Find a good rheumatologist who will aggressively treat it.
    RA gal,
    RobynMom94 replied to mommy2isaac's response:
    I am also Seronegative RA. Diagnosed x 3.5 years and still trying to find what works for me. I was on Arava but it quit working after 7 months. I am now on two different pills with an application to insurance for approval for starting Enbril shots. I am so tired and need relief.
    catuscandy replied to mommy2isaac's response:
    To momm2Isaac: Being sero negative as you say, I'm wondering if your doctor ordered a ccp lab test. It is the most definitive test for RA. Better than checking the rheumatoid factor. My tests are normal except for my ccp. It should be <17 and mine is >500. I'm currently on Plaquenil with good slowing of symptoms.

    Helpful Tips

    Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
    Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    41 of 48 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.