Skip to content
foot and hand pain
maryc63 posted:
I'm new to this community, and would love to hear from others about dealing with the pain and how they are coping with it. I used to work full time as a nurse( on your feet all day) until 19 months ago and now I work 2 days. week. Have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia 9 years ago. Then In 2009 diagnosed with RA. Went through the med regime past humira and was on Ariva?? when I became very ill and ended up with life threatening blood clots in my lungs. After I recuperated from all that, I changed rheumatologist and he said I didn't have RA but polymyalgia rhuematica and put me on high doses of prednisone. 2 1/2 years later, now he has diagnosed me with RA and started me on plaquenal. Then the Methotrexate with it and still on prednisone. I'm off the plaquenal, down to 10mg pred.and have been restarted with mtx. after and infection I acquired. He's trying to wean me completely off the prednisone,which is fine by me! I have been only on the Methotrexate for 3-4 weeks, but am growing so impatient. I take Lortab for the pain, but it doesn't seem to help like it did for my fibro. If you share in the same type of foot pain, how do you cope? It takes at least 2 hours before I'm walking a little better (without a waddle),but some days it hardly helps at all(pain med). Since I only work 2 days a week,I feel guilty about calling in sick,so I don't. But walking is so painful! Shopping in a large grocery store can be accomplished by using one of their scooters, but what about the rest of the time? Waiting 2-3 months to see if mtx works, is wearing on me emotionally. I don't feel like doing anything when I'm home except keep off my feet. I do walk my puppy,though,so I am getting exercise. Just looking for some comments. Wish I could just stay home from work until a med starts working, but I need the paycheck, plus I'm afraid I would get layed off if I can't cover my position. Looking for any comments and ideas about pain relief so I can walk. Trying to keep smiling!

natysgranny56 responded:
Yes I too have hand and foot pain. I have LUPUS so this might be the cause.It is getting to the point the cartilage is wasting away from both. I have been on different meds for RA and none seem to help. Prednisone,methotrexate,Arava none seem to help. Now my doc is going to try Plaquenil, I have no idea what this entitles, but anything to keep my hands and feet from becoming deformed. I only take Naprosen 500mg. this helps with the pain and swelling,for awhile anyway. Lupus has affected my carotid artery,kidneys(protein leak).I am 57 and used to be very active,now I can't even hold a glass, tie a knot,button anything! My hands are weak, and I have to wear thick insoles to give me some comfort. Hope you find some comfort in your meds. Good luck.

xperky responded:
I too have awful foot pain. I recently discovered crocs, which are soft and roomy for me, and they help. Lidoderm rx patches numb the worst spots and I use them on bad nights to help me sleep. Also, salonpas patches seem to help quite a bit. I don't know what I'd do without my Tramadol too.

I am increasing the mtx and up to 7 pills now. I am guessing I would feel worse without it by now, but not so sure. It has taken me almost a year to get from 3 to 7 pills and I still have lots of trouble walking. Just bought a cane to help with those grocery store trips. I also just got a form from my pcp for a handicapped placard.

Try to keep smiling, like you said. I find it helps to be friendly, smiling, and keeping a positive outlook. I hope you enjoy your puppy!

maryc63 replied to xperky's response:
Dear experky,
Thanks for reminding me about the lidoderm patches. I have them and maybe I could walk better with them on the painful areas of my feet. I saw the salon pas advertised on tv.you said they are good too?
Do you work? I'm a nurse and had to cut down to 2 days a week.I have to work until at least next summer. It's so difficult to try to walk"normal". No one likes everyone always asking"what's wrong"? My Dr stopped my mtx.after being on it for@month this time(was on it a few months ago but got an infection in my arm and had to stop it, then.) Anyway,I got this crazy rash on my face that went from the bridge of my nose down to my chin. Did you ever hear of that kind of rash on that med? I had a patient that was on mtx.and she told me it eventually went away, so I wasn't going to mention it to my Dr. But after 2 weeks I did and he stopped my mtx. Now I'm only on prednisone until I see him in November. Thanks for allowing me to vent....

maryc63 replied to natysgranny56's response:
Thanks for your response.I've had fibromyalgia since 2004, so have lived with chronic pain, but this RA is a new diagnosis for me. I'm on Coumadin so I can't take nsaids, so have to take Lortab. It doesn't seem to help on the joint pain like it does for the muscle pain and fatigue. It's hard not to get discouraged when I'm trying to keep up working just 2 days a week. I don't suppose you're working with all your difficulties. How do you accept the fact that you can't do what you used to? I think I'm still in denial.
I was on plaquenal as my first RA drug, but it didn't do anything for me, so he stopped it. I was on Arava a long time ago,2010, when at the time I was misdiagnosed with RA, but didn't actually have it. It has awful side effects, like death! Glad you're off it! Thanks again for responding..........

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 42 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.