Skip to content
Depressed with RA
scaredofra posted:
I am 44 years old, diagnosed with RA since March 2012. I was always active person. Knowing having these diagnosis scares me. One day I will be crippled and my husband will have to do everything for me. I do not want to be a burden to my son or husband, he is only 15 years old. The RA has taken a toll on my marriage, my husband and I have not sex in over a year. I have lost total interest in sex, I am working with a therapist. I do not want RA anymore! I am just so tired!

xperky responded:
Hi. RA is depressing. No fun at all, and the fatigue doesn't help. I hope you will not be crippled in the future. RA is different these days, with all the treatments to slow it down and prevent crippling. Please try to view life more "in the now" as that can alleviate some of the depression. I have found meditation helps with the stress, depression and worry about the future. Just something you can give a try. It is so good you are working with a therapist. I had a wonderful one who changed the way I viewed life and helped me out of that deep pit of depression. You can do it too. It's all about living in the moment for me. Hugs to you.

fordownr responded:
Scaredpofra, Welcome to the club. You sound a lot like me. I'm 52 now (diagnosed in 2000 after a MAJOR flare ruined our 30th anniverary). I used to be like the energizer bunny, always in motion, but not now. The fatigue along with the pain is the worst I think. My wife (Yes I'm a man with RA) leaves me alone when I'm in pain or super tired which is the last thing I want. But we're working on it.
Living with RA means your reality has just changed. Ask for help if you need it. Prioritize what you need to get done and then double the time you take to do it. Use assistive devices (theres a ton of them out there). Get to a rheumatologist! There are a boatload of different therapys and medicines out there. It's going to take some time to figure out what's best (takes a couple of months for the biologics to kick in). Work with your Drs and ASK QUESTIONS! (my wife goes with me to all of my appts)
While this is a lifelong illness, it doesn't mean the end of the world, you just have to reset your expectations and take comfort in the little victories!
Keep Fighting!

scaredofra responded:
Since I last posted, I an arthoscopic right knee surgery, my ortho found grade 4 in the back of my knee cap, grade 3 for medial and grade 1 for my tibial. They say I will need a knee replacement. I have already have a left knee replacement Oct 2012. My ortho will be working on my left shoulder meaning that, I go through cortizone injections, if that does not work, I will need another arthoscopic. I see therapist on a weekly basis. I am trying to get my health insurance to pay for me to go swimming for my medical issue. So right now I only take one day at a time and do what I can do that day that my body can handle.

katellawellnesscenter responded:
I know that it is very depressing to be diagnosed with RA,but then you will have to cope with it.You will have to be very strong and positive only then will you be able to overcome your problems related to your health issue. I have another suggestion to make.Why don't you visit a Chiropractor.I am sure a chiropractor will be able to help you.Even if it will not cure you fully,it will help you control it and give you courage to face the situation later in life.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

R.A.
Thanks everyone for the postings about R.A. being in the sacroilliac joint. It is a very debilitating pain, when combined with scoliosis ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.