Skip to content
RA with osteoporosis, osteoarithritis and anaemia
sumi1234 posted:
This is for a 55 year old woman with history of rheumatoid arthritis which was being treated . She was diagnosed with RA with osteoporosis and anaemia 3 months ago. There was swelling in the left knee and tenderness. No Dexa scan was done by the doctor.
Recently,there was a left protusio acetabulum. Degenerative change and osteophytes in both legs. She cannot walk or move properly right now.
The Dexa scan has a T core of -3.8 for left thigh bone i.e. in the red zone for the left thigh where the protusio acetabulum is also present. Doctor has said to wait a month for the open joint operation as the bones are too brittle right now. However she cannot even stay in bed without a lot of pain (despite medicines for pain, osteoarithritis, rheumatoid arithritis and supplements).

Please guide what else we can do as the doctor has not helped so far and the situation has worsened in 3 months from simple RA to this. Thanks

DaKittster responded:
This is unfortunately a late reply....hope you're still monitoring for replies.

First, I searched all of my known online medical info sites, and not one has any idea of what "protusio acetabulum" is. Can you supply more info?

Second, can you be a little more specific about what type of medical professionals this lady has consulted? Has she been to a Rheumatologist? If so, what treatments has this doctor had her try? What type of pain meds is she taking? What supplements? Has she been given CCP Antibody tests to determine the severity of her inflammation? Has the doctor prescribed anti-inflammatory drugs? NSAID's?

Rheumatoid arthritis is a very difficult autoimmune disease to deal with and treat. The milder forms respond well to treatment, and most sufferers can lead near-normal lives thanks to the wonderful new drugs that have been developed, especially the new biologic drugs like Humira and Enbrel.

But the more severe forms of RA can cause collateral health issues. The malfunctioning immune system, in severe RA, can also attack vital organs and connective tissues in addition to the joints. Therefore, drug therapy would result in more of a "coctail" of drugs to alleviate the various other medical issues caused in the severe forms of RA.

Plus, many of the treatments, for some people, can have serious long term negative side effects that cause other problems such as high blood pressure in the case of long term use of corticosteroids. Other drugs that are immuno- suppressants can leave the immune system vulnerable to other problems developing such as some forms of cancer. Because of that it is essential that she be seeing a Rheumatologist who has the proper special training to monitor and test regularly to assure that the drugs are properly addressing the RA.

Regarding Osteophytes: This is not unexpected in more serious cases of RA. As the joints deteriorate the joints, most commonly in the hands and the feet, can actually dislocate or partially dislocate, causing malformations. This malformed bony area can form bony protrusions. I have one at the base of my right big toe which, in a couple of months, is scheduled to be shaved off because it is protruding so bad that I can't wear normal shoes, and it is very painful.

Rheumatoid nodules, which are kind of like fibroid tumors but not actually tumors, frequently form at or near the major joints. On my right elbow one grew so large it wrapped around the ulnar nerve, and I had to have surgery to remove as much of it as possible because my lower arm and hand had gone partially numb from the pressure. But my severe RA has been unresponsive to treatment, so all of these side issues are to be expected and treated if possible with surgery.

Please feel free to e-mail me if the information is too cumbersome for a response here. And if your lady friend would care to have a sympathetic shoulder who understands her condition and life and health problems, please also encourage her to contact me.

I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Kind regards, Kitt

HelenTS responded:
Please read my post titled 'cured by vegan diet'. My dad had very bad osteoporosis before he died. I always wondered why, because he was strong and exercised regularly.

From my research on my RA and eventually landed on a vegan diet, I found out that eating meat is linked to osteoporosis. My dad liked to eat meat.

I had gone through my angry period about the lies we were told about the food pyramid, that we need meat and dairy as nutrients, misleading us that it will give us strong bones, etc. Now I just want others to know the truth. To empower others to get well like I do. Educate yourself and don't just listen to your doctors or pharma ads on TV. Watch the documentary Forks Over Knifes is a good start. It is available for streaming on Netflix.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

mouth sores
I recently read that when one takes methotrexate as many of us do with RA and Sjogrens Syndrome, it can make your levels of folic acid drop ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.