Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chantix side effects
An_253926 posted:
Hello. I had been smoking cigarettes for 23 years so I was desperate to quit while I could still breath. I went to my doctor and requested Chantix because I had heard about it' s really high success rate for smoking cessation. My doctor was reluctant to give me the prescription at first because I am a registered nurse and the medication poses work hazards. She informed me that people working for the DOT are not allowed to take the prescription and work. She more or less highlighted emotional side effects associated with Chantix. After discussion, we decided that the benefits out weight my associated risks. Once I got the prescription home, I read up on the potential side effects including unusual behaviors, nightmares, and other hazards related to blood clots, ect, ect.
I have successfully quit smoking. But, as I continued to take the Chantix, I began to feel more and more fatigued. Then I began to have muscle aches and headaches. Vague symptoms of course that I could attribute to some other cause....until the joint pain set in 3 weeks ago. The pain is so severe in my ankles, knees, elbows, shoulders, ans hands that SOMETHING has to be seriously wrong. I immediately suspected the Chantix since I don't take any other drugs-prescription or OTC.I stopped the Chantix 2 weeks ago after taking the med for 5 weeks, but the joint pain continues and is severe. I have an appointment with my doctor this week. She wants to test for lupus and other autoimmune diseases. I am posting this because I want people to be aware of the side effects of this medication! If I find any other solution to my symptoms I will post an update.

skerrysherry responded:
Hi, came across your post out of desperation. Brother has been to doctor after doctor trying to find the source of similar pain points. He, too, used Chantix and I wondered if there was a relationship between Chantix and autoimmune disorders--as they suspect his now constant suffering may be autoimmune in nature. That is when I found your post. Any updates?

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Rheumatoid Arthritis infographic
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a debilitating condition that can cause inflammation and pain in the joints . In this infographic you will be ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.