Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Lumps on my hands
    gimpyKat posted:
    I found a lump on the back of my hand 6 months ago, now it is twice the size. I also found many lumps all over the joints of my fingers. My big toes are turning towards the outside of my feet.

    Are there any other conditions besides Rheumatoid Arthritis that does this? I am 30 years old.

    I had a car accident 4 years ago, I had some mild symptoms before. I ended up with chronic headaches 70% of the time ever since. A year and a half ago, I went to the ER with such bad muscle spasms that I looked like I was having a seizure. I was fully conscience and it was in certain muscle groups. 6 months ago I went to a baseball game and spasms and nerve issues in my feet legs became chronic. Spasms were so bad I could barely function. I have inflammation, heat and visible swelling, mostly of my cervical shoulders and upper arms, some swelling in hands.

    The only thing so far that has helped me is corticosteroid shots, baclofen (for the spasms), D-Ribose.

    Would love to hear your opinion.
    DaKittster responded:
    Are you being treated by a Rheumatologist? What medications has he/she prescribed?

    The lump are most likely Rheumatoid nodules. These are normal in serious RA. Can't be avoided or stopped. In rare cases when the nodules are interfering with other functions seriously, surgery is usually recommended to correct the interference.

    In RA, as the disease progresses, the joints deteriorate to the point where there is nothing left but bone on bone. The joints will most likely dislocate, which could be why your toes are becoming malformed.

    If you are seeing a Rheumatologist you should be taking the appropriate drugs to try to slow down the RA destruction. Are you taking your meds?

    As for the spastic muscle contractions in the legs, and occasionally in the arms (if you're having it there as well), your Rheumatologist or Neurologist should have ordered a spinal series of x-rays to see if you have either RA or Osteoarthritis throughout your spine, and possibly your pelvis as well. If you do, then you probably have Severe Degenerative Joint Disease (which I have), and have myoclonus, or pressure on the nerves coming out of the spinal column, which is probably causing the spastic muscle contractions.

    I, too, take Baclofen, as well as Clonazepam, to control it. You should be seeing a Neurologist for this problem because this is a different area of specialty that a Rheumatologist does not normally treat. There are other drugs which can control this condition such as Gabapentin (Neurontin). There is unfortunately no cure for this, and ultimately your spine will continue to collapse, so if this is a confirmed condition in your case, then it will be especially important that you see your neurologist for ongoing treatment.

    If you have not seen a Rheumatologist, and a Neurologist, get your primary care doctor to refer you to these specialists ASAP! It sounds like you're definitely a candidate for specialized care, and you don't want to let it go any longer.

    Good luck!
    gimpyKat replied to DaKittster's response:
    Hey thanks for your reply! I only realized in the last couple of months that I needed to go to a rheumatologist after a neurologist told me he thought I had fibromylagia. Luckily I just found out yesterday that an office had a cancelation on Monday and they pushed me to the top of the list. They are booked out until April! I've seen 3 neurologists, none of which did much investigating.

    I realize after I posted this, that the lumps I'm finding, are indeed the fluid in my joints. As they move or disappear, depending on how I move my hand.

    All the RA info, doesn't make it sound like it can be in your spine? Is it all behind with the times? I have had a lot of episodes that looked like myoclonus, both of my arms moving at the same time. That was before I started taking the Baclofen.

    I've been getting corticosteroid thoracic steroid injections in my neck. I had one yesterday. Before that I was having a really horrible time walking. My legs would stiffen up if I at all would try to walk fast. After the steroid injection I was almost walking normal! As in, I always have a limp now. I had no idea that steroids would move so fast. Friend of mine that works at a hospital, tells me that they do. The baclofen and the steriods injections are the only thing that the medical community has contributed to helping me in the last 4 years.

    I can't handle clonazepam. I'm senstive to anything that makes me drowsy. The Neurotin didn't help. When I started having really bad muscle spasms the ER doctor said it was all in my head. So I went to a psychiatrist, he put me on neurotin and kept increasing it to the point I became suicidle. I was also taking propanolol at the time, because I have anxiety. Those to together increasing, gave me low blood sugar problems.

    Thank you for your reply. As it helps confirmed that all the problems I've been having, can be related to RA.

    Helpful Tips

    help with methotrexate side effectsExpert
    I recommend all my patients on methotrexate take at least 1 mg of Folic Acid daily to help decrease the risk of side effects. In those ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    30 of 33 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.