Skip to content
RA treatment in patient with positive TB test.
catuscandy posted:
I was diagnosed with RA 1 1/2 yrs. ago. In the beginning I had little symptoms. Now my fingers are misshapen, thick, and I cannot make a fist without pain. I have a positive TB test and cannot take any biologicals. I'm currently on Plaquenil with fair control, but it makes my hair fall out and my muscles turn to sponge. What are my treatment options? My ccp readings are always greater than 500. I've had some flares that make it impossible for me to drive a car.

canrock responded:
I can't answer your question about what your treatment options are. I just was reading your post and felt the need to tell you that I understand what you're going through w/ your inflammation and pain. Wanted to remind you that you are not alone and even though I don't know you, I feel for you and you are in my prayers. I hope you get the answer you need and find a treatment that will work for you.

An_254147 responded:
You'd have to talk to your doctor but I had a positive TB test after I was diagnosed with RA. I was treated with antibiotics for 4 months but was told I could start a biologic after 1mo of antibiotic treatment. I've gotten lucky and haven't needed a biologic yet but I think if you're treated for the TB you can go on a biologic. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

catuscandy replied to canrock's response:
To canrock:
Thank you for your prayers. I saw my rheumatologist this week and he plans to put me on methotrexate next month if I agree to it.

catuscandy replied to An_254147's response:
To An_254147: Thank you for your note. It is encouraging to think I may be able to use a biologic in the future if I need it. I know I have a clear x-ray because I had the positive TB test when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. All my chest x-rays have been negative through my life and I'm 70yrs old now.My rheumatologist is encouraging me to go on methotrexate and I am considering it since he says he knows I'll be doing better if I do take it.
I hope you continue to do well. I wish you an active, full life.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.