Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New Ra patient
Merret posted:
Hi. I have been reading all your helpful comments. As a new patient it is nice to know thet I am not alone in my struggle with r.a. Was told 3 months ago that my r.a. Was severe with osteoarthritis mixed in. Mtx is helping some but just had to have it increased because the pain. Frolic acid does help with the side affects also Prevacid on the stomach issues. Being tired all the time is a pain. If anyone has a helpful solution I would love to hear it. Finally my mom(an angel for five years) & god help a lot. If anyone wants to talk I have a good ear. ( also dealing with an alcoholic son - 31 year old). Thank you for listening. Have a good day!

fordownr responded:
@ Merret, You have your hands full. I was diagnosed in 2000 after having this dang disease ruin our 30 anniversary cruise. Don't be shy with your Dr. Metho is only one tool in the toolbox. I couldn't stay on it, I'd lose the day after taking it due to a total drain on my system.
I also have severe fatigue, I guess being retired military ingrained pushing through it but it's not easy. They used to call me "Ricochet" because i was always bouncing from one thing to another. Not anymore. Hard to get motivated just to do the "have to do" stuff.
The wife and my PCM suggested counseling (been going for 3 months now) but I'm not sold yet.
I'm probably going to tell you what you've already figured out, but.... You are going to have to get ruthless about prioritizing what you have to do. Also you are going to have to ask for help when you need it (I'm really bad at that, then I overdo it and pay for it for a few days after) I keep a list on a white board with different colors and markings for what I HAVE to do, WANT to do, and NEED HELP with. Works OK when I follow it.
Read a bunch of stuff on the chronic fatigue that goes along with this beast (RA). Look at it like a jar under a dripping faucet. The water is your energy, it empties really fast but takes a long time to refill. So you have to figure out what and how much to use far a given task. I know it sounds good, but it's really hard to do in practice...
OK, Long enough. I'm sure we'll cross paths again Keep fighting!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Going gluten free
Hi! I just wanted to share my journey with y'all! I am only 24 and have had rheumatoid arthritis Since the age of 12. I was on ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.