Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Metho.
An_254172 posted:
I am a new user of Metho, I know it is not a good drug but the Lyrica, Plaquneil, and Azulifidine, just is not cutting it. I also take Humria, shots every other week. My question is does most people have bad heartburn with this? I take Aciphex for my gastro trouble but it is not working much now. I figure it has to be the Metho causing it. I have bad side effects but I am not throwing up yet. Just feeling like it. Is this all normal? It is hard to stay positive. Forgive my spelling but I had to find out how others are doing on this med.I take four pills each week and one shot every month when I see my Rummey.

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
I don't find heartburn to be a common issue with Methotrexate in my patients so I cannot say it is related but many do have gastric complaints such as nasuea. I offer my patients weekly injections that we teach them to give adminsister under the skin (sub cutaneous) instead of by pill. I think there is a new product soon to be released on the market that is already filled and ready to go.I also make sure my patients take daily folic acid and sometimes give them folinic acid(leukovorin) 8 - 12 hours after methotrexate to help with side effects.

fordownr responded:
An_254172, I have GERD/IBS and am on Dexilant (GREAT DRUG!) Have not had any gastrointestinal problems with any of my RA meds. Metho pon the other hand laid me out for a full day after I would take it. No energy or strength, felt like doggie doo. Been on plaquinel (no side effects) and Cimzia (self inject every 2 weeks and while it didn't totally stop everything it helped. Currently on Arava (daily) and Orencia ( once a week. doing OK but not great.
You say you are a new metho user which I infer to mean you've just been diagnosed? Buckle in cause it's a long ride.....

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.