Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
RA and depression are kicking my butt!!!! :(
beckyandclark posted:
Hello everyone.
I am new to this forum. I have had RA since June of 2008, 1 month after my son was born. I went from being a very active, young woman to feeling like a tired, old lady. It seems like I get horrible side effects from every new medication I try. I am to the point where I am tired, in pain, depressed, and just ready to give up! Any help, tips, etc., would be greatly appreciated!!

pbuckmom responded:
I am so sorry you're feeling so bad. What meds have you tried? Any supplements like fish oil or vitamin D?

I take Plaquenil and the above supplements. I have mostly good times but occasional flares when I also use 500mg of Naproxen. I am in midst of bad flare and am currently on a tapering dose of Prednisone.

I try and stretch my flared joint. It can be painful to try and stretch it but it helps to loosen it up. I use ice too. I'll put ice on for 30-45 mins. I used to try warm baths but I prefer ice. Helps with inflammation and the pain too.

Try and focus on what you can do. It's ok to have a pity party for yourself sometimes though. RA stinks! Just try and find at least one thing your thankful for daily and cling to it.

Also try and get lots of water and rest too. Hope you feel better. You're in my prayers tonight.

roadbiker responded:
becky

I am newer to this forum. Am 64 and discovered I had RA
six months ago. Scored over the max of 300 on the test
so I have it bigtime. Difficult as I am an endurance athlete
road biker. I have done all the toughest climbing rides
on the Westcoast even though I am a bigger guy at
190 lbs. Just to say I understand how difficult it can be for those of us that are VERY active. I am sure it is just as devestating for everyone regardless of activity level.

My Dr. prescribed Placquinel sp? but I had a bad reaction
to that. Out of body experiences, really hyped me up so that
was out. I went 6 months without any flareups so was on no meds until about 2 months ago. Then all hell broke loose
My flareups are all over the place. Mostly large joints, knees
shoulders, ect. But two months ago. I had an attack in my
hands and wrists. Doubled in size and very painful.
Dr. put me on Prednizone right away and Methotrexate to followup. I still have nerve damage to right hand I think I am stuck with. The Methotrexate is working. I understand the side effects but can not live with a completely disabilitaion either so
I am in. I should tell you that during this same time we have been following the Daniel's fast dietary program for 21 days
and I think that has helped as well. Just went off of that a few days ago. Had a little candy last night and Bang this morning
I have a flare up in my knee. I have to suggest no sugar, no wine, and no refined flour or gluten is really worth a try to see if it helps. But you need to stay with that plan for weeks to see a difference. You will have a life, don't get depressed. Best of luck Becky, pulling for you...

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.