Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Rheumatoid Arthritis and depression
An_255105 posted:
My sister was diagnosed several years ago. It has really taken a toll on her and she is super derpessed. Her doc told her it was because of the holidays but I think not!! I need to have some help so I can help her. what antidepressants can be taken with rheumatoid meds??

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
RA like other chronic conditions may be associated with an increased risk of depression. If patients are depressed, I encourage my patients to be evaluated by a mental health professional such as a psychologist or psychiatrist. There are many medications that can be prescribed to help with depression. Some of these medications such as serotonin uptake inhibitors, a common class of anti depressants, may be associated with an increased risk of bleeding. NSAIDS such as ibuprofen are a common class of drugs used to treat arthritis and may also increase the risk of bleeding so caution may be needed with the combination. For my patients who are depressed, one of the tests I often order measures a patient's thyroid function. I also try to help them with their sleep and discuss ways to improve sleep with and without medication.

cousinhockey responded:
Hi An, I'm not a Dr, I'm a person with severe RA. My pain, stiffness and fatigue has been a major obstacle in life. I can sympathize with your sis I was waking up very, very depressed because of this illness that won't go away. Number 1, I can see she has a very caring sibling. I hope she could see a psych. I'm now taking Prozac for depression, they did give me some Xanax just in event I have panic and anxiety. My therapist informed me Prozac will make me a little more peppy, and boost a little of the pain barrier up to feel a little less pain. Yes it works for me and I have RA. I take Vicodin 3x's a day for the severe pain. I cant say much about the other RA meds with Prozac, sorry. I recently tried Humira and somehow I got very sick on it, so we stopped that. Prozac gave me a little better outlook on life..I wish her well.

angali responded:
I had to find other things to help my Rheumatoid.

I did find SAME-e (S-L methionine) has bought my ESR/CRP inflammatory rate right down. I can only afford 400mgs a day. In Russia, Italy, Germany Spain it is on their cheaper meds. lists for Depression & Arthritis.

You can see reviews for SAM-e on WebMD for arthritis & depression.

Yes it also helped my mood.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Rheumatoid Arthritis infographic
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a debilitating condition that can cause inflammation and pain in the joints . In this infographic you will be ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.