Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How do I cope?
independent45 posted:
I'm having trouble dealing with this lifestyle change. Any advice?

striper5162 responded:
I think you will have to be specific as to what type of change you are alluding to. Your question is much too broad to even contemplate an answer.

pamzd responded:
I have had RA for four years now, and it is difficult to adjust in the beginning, but knowledge is the key. Write down your feelings and tell these things to your RA Doc. I have recently started meditating, which my RA Dr. told me about and it can help you feel better mentally. Don't read too much on here or you will get depressed, its best to ask your Dr. about good literature about the subject. Exercising positive thinking will help too, DON'T let negative thoughts bring you down. God bless you and keep you.

Anon_169479 responded:
I found free Self-Management Program workshops very helpful. Two were offered at my local senior center in alternate years and sponsored by the state health department for people dealing with Chronic Disease and Pain issues. I also took an online workshop for people with arthritis sponsored by the Arthritis Foundation. Google Self-Management Program in your state for more information.

While much of this disease is out of our control, struggling with this leads to more suffering. With training, you can learn to accept what is happening and how you feel in the moment, and still make decisions and goals based on what you are able to do and want for yourself in your life.

When I was first diagnosed, I worked with a therapist on "Acceptance and commitment therapy" or ACT.

mariajohnson responded:
Yes meditation is the best way to keep yourself fit. Keep yourself busy in some activities and do not think about your disease too much. Just keep yourself busy.

stellagonzalez replied to mariajohnson's response:
Yes Maria I do agree with you, meditation is somewhat which teaches you the art of living.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.