Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
help---2
freeme333 posted:
Just want to mention,i have aggressive R.A and i dont even know what a flare up is like as i am constantly in pain,fatigued etc
I am on 20mg prednisone a day and 20mg Methotrexate injection a week.I was diagnosed 16mths ago,but am sure i have had it many years.I have tried every med available--last stopis the infusion and if that doesnt work---god only knows.i am gluten free,wheat free,eat fresh organic foods as my main supplement,and dairy free----i still continue to gain weight.20kg in 16mths! Hate the moon face,fat back and kneck from Prednisone,i am at my wits end

mike201 responded:
Hello Freeme333

I have been down this road and am now on an infusion. Prednisone is a terrible drug and you need to get off or reduce dose within a year or two. I was on 40mg for 85 days and lower doses for 1200 days. Now on 4.5mg but that is still too much. Re diet and Prednisone I suggest you remove all salt and eat little meat. You really need to exercise - walk, swim, ride a few times a week. MTX can encourage eating due to nausea. ask you doctor about injectable MTX. The first two years can be awful but working with a good rheumatologist things will improve. They have for me. I am not fantastic, can't work but am much more stable and comfortable. All the best, Mike

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Rheumatoid Arthritis infographic
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a debilitating condition that can cause inflammation and pain in the joints . In this infographic you will be ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.