Skip to content
New to ra
beachbiker posted:
I have recently been diagnosed with ra. I have had an ms diagnosis for more than 10 years so I have some experIence with managing in autoimmune land but I trying to educate myself. When I read "flare" what does that mean? Is it something that lasts for minutes, day? I want to get my lingo down so I can be as precise as possible when working with my team of docs and therapists? Thank you

An_254147 responded:
Hi Beachbiker-
Sorry to welcome you to the RA club! A flare basically means an increase in your arthritis symptoms either pain, swelling, stiffness, ect. I feel like flairs can be any length of time but for me they're rarely less than a few days. I'm in really good remission so I usually don't have any symptoms at all. Then I may suddenly have some morning stiffness in my hands and feet and a little soreness in my hands for a few days to a few weeks. Sometimes it moves to a different joint and I'll have a sore shoulder/elbow/knees for a few days. My disease is well enough controlled that all I need during a flare is some Naproxen once or twice a day for a few days to a week and then I'm back to no symptoms. Some people will have flairs where they need a steroid like prednisone to help control the symptoms. I hope that makes since. Hang in there! I felt SO much better once I got on meds. I hope you start feeling better soon!

beachbiker replied to An_254147's response:
Thanks for ur response. I am in week two of taking methotrexate and I am anxiously awaiting the time it starts working? My doc suggested it could be a few weeks so I am trying to be patient and to keep exercising. Beachbiker

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.