Skip to content
Do I have RA?
daphcoley78 posted:
About 5 days ago, I began experiencing numbness and tingling in my hands, like they were falling asleep. The next day I noticed that my fingers were swollen, and then the pain started. My fingers ached in my bones. It has progressively gotten worse over the last couple days. Now I am in constant pain with my hands. I cannot close my hand to make a fist. When I do try, I can only get it halfway closed and there is pain in the palm of my hand, like a tendon is stretching or something. I have no ability to grip things, hold things, and just typing or texting induces severe, constant pain. This started about 5 days ago and is happening to both hands, tho the left one is much worse. I have taken lorcet, neurontin, aleve, and ibuprofen-none of which ease the pain at all. What is wrong with me?

atti_editor responded:
Hi daphcoley78,

Joint stiffness, swelling, pain, and redness/warmth are some of the hallmark signs of RA (the hands are almost always affected). This article explains RA symptoms in more detail. The only way to get a definitive diagnosis as to what is happening with your hands is to see a doctor for evaluation. This article explains how RA is diagnosed.

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 44 found this helpful