Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do I have RA?
daphcoley78 posted:
About 5 days ago, I began experiencing numbness and tingling in my hands, like they were falling asleep. The next day I noticed that my fingers were swollen, and then the pain started. My fingers ached in my bones. It has progressively gotten worse over the last couple days. Now I am in constant pain with my hands. I cannot close my hand to make a fist. When I do try, I can only get it halfway closed and there is pain in the palm of my hand, like a tendon is stretching or something. I have no ability to grip things, hold things, and just typing or texting induces severe, constant pain. This started about 5 days ago and is happening to both hands, tho the left one is much worse. I have taken lorcet, neurontin, aleve, and ibuprofen-none of which ease the pain at all. What is wrong with me?

atti_editor responded:
Hi daphcoley78,

Joint stiffness, swelling, pain, and redness/warmth are some of the hallmark signs of RA (the hands are almost always affected). This article explains RA symptoms in more detail. The only way to get a definitive diagnosis as to what is happening with your hands is to see a doctor for evaluation. This article explains how RA is diagnosed.

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

mouth sores
I recently read that when one takes methotrexate as many of us do with RA and Sjogrens Syndrome, it can make your levels of folic acid drop ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.