Skip to content
High RA Latex Turbid Test Result
sara9001 posted:
I have RA, it was diagnosed 3 years ago during an acute exacerbation. The RA Latex Turbid Results were in the 200's at the time and I could not walk on my left foot, the joint below my great toe was so inflamed and painful. I saw a Rheumatologist and she tried a few different drugs none worked as the side effect were equally as bad as the disease itself. The Rheumatologist offered me both Embrel and Humara but I had both thyroid and breast cancer in the past so I have chosen not to use those two drugs. I keep prednisone 5mg's and Tramadol 75mg's and when my symptoms are more than I can deal with I take them for a few days. Recently, I went to a new primary care doctor and she did another RA Latex Turbid Test, I am having pain in my fingers and toes but not medicating for them as it is not severe pain. Anyway the test result came back as 216.8 IU/mL. Range: 0.0-13.9. My question is once you have RA is the test result showing the degree of RA you have in which case I have two tests around the same result. Or is it telling me that I am exasperated again and that it needs to be medicated for control?

mike201 responded:
Hello Sara

The Latex Test is the the same as the RA Factor Test. My own current reading is well over 1,000 IU/mL. I wish I had yours. The test is a general reading for the level of inflammation. It is not specific and is not given a lot of focus by rheumatologists. You seem to be having flares. This is common. If blood tests are run during a flare you may get a higher result for some or all the various tests. Your Latex Test is just too general to be really useful. I am surprised you Rheumy offered you the big drugs without trying Methyltrexate. Hope this helps.

sara9001 replied to mike201's response:
@mike201 Thank you for your response. My Rheum. Did put me on Methyltrexate for 3-4 months and I was taking it from fri-sun each week but I was so nauseated, lethargic that eventually I just said the cures are as bad as the disease for me and requested the prednisone and tram afoul for flair ups. I am wandering if you know what tests your doctor runs for you that are more helpful with your dx. and I am always looking for medication that will work for me. I have had bilateral mastectomies, thyroid ca, and a few other problems but the cancer history is what rules out a lot of medications. Also, when I am flailed up my pain management is a problem as I am allergic to codeine thus I use the Tramadol. Any thoughts and information on this are welcome.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

jaw pain
I use massage, ice, heat, and pain meds if necessary. I find that when I'm busy consentrating at work, I tend to grind my teeth, which I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.