Skip to content
Methotrexate and indirect sun
An_257029 posted:
Hello, I have been diagnosed with RA for over a year. I am on methotrexate and humira. They are working well and I am a functioning self sufficient mother of three. I walk daily and keep a well balanced diet. I am happy to be as much of the person I used to be but, I am scared. I fear the side effects that come with taking these drugs. I don't know how to manage my daily walks/runs now that it is sunny because i am told to avoid direct sunlight. how can i do thant? I want to go to the beech but, again I fear being out in the sun.I wear a sweater everyday and use sunscreen but, it's a big challenge for me.

My RA doctor is not much help and is more interested in earning his paycheck and finding possible research candidates. My family doctor is not interested in giving me answers. The answer to my pain is RA and that if I m angry I should seek counseling. Great point and if I was depressed I would. I am just asking for a little understanding and clarification. I want to change my meds if that is the only option to enjoying the sun but, I don't want to change something that is not broken. Anyone know how to proceed? Thank you,

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

I am sorry that neither of your doctors seem to understand what you are going through or know how to help. Have you thought about seeking an opinion from another RA doctor in your area if possible? Your doctor should want to work with you to provide the best possible treatment plan.

Wearing long sleeved shirts and applying sunscreen are good ways to avoid direct sunlight. You can also wear a hat with flaps or a wide brim and sunglasses to keep your neck and face protected. I know that gearing up to go outside is challenging, but it is certainly important as I am sure you know. Scheduling your walks/runs for times of the day when the sun is less harsh may also help limit your exposure.

As far as the beach goes, wearing a long sleeved surf shirt will protect you from the sun while allowing you to still enjoy the water, and setting up a shade tent to sit under or a large beach umbrella will help. Please let us know how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

m1ra2 replied to atti_editor's response:
I just don't want to give up my freedom. somedays specially now that it's summer it seems like I am trapped in a never ending nightmare. Thank you I appreciate your feedback.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

mouth sores
I recently read that when one takes methotrexate as many of us do with RA and Sjogrens Syndrome, it can make your levels of folic acid drop ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.