Skip to content
New here and need advice
mumof4uk posted:
Hello everyone,

After a few months of odd pains here and there (hips and feet mostly) and extreme tiredness I went to my doctor and he sent me for blood tests. 10 days ago my doctor told me my ra factor was positive (though all the other tests he did for inflammation etc came out normal). He said he would refer me to a rheumatologist and sent me on my way.

Since that day all of my symptoms seem to have gotten worse. I am now feeling a burning pain in my feet, hands, knees, shoulder and neck and I am feeling so scared about the future and what all these burning sensations are doing to my body.

So what I need to know now is if there is anything I should be doing while I wait for my hospital appointment. Should I be on any drugs? My doctor didn't give me anything (which I was fine with at the time) but now things seem worse I am panicking. Or is there nothing he can give me until I am officially diagnosed?

Also I am supposed to be going on holiday abroad in 4 weeks time and have 4 young children to look after. Will I be able to go? What is symptoms worsened while I was there and I couldn't look after them (my oh isn't joining us until later in the holiday).

Thanks for reading.

Sam

atti_editor responded:
Hi Sam,

Welcome to the community! I am sorry that your symptoms are worsening. While you wait for others to respond with personal experiences and advice, you may want to look through the information in the Rheumatoid Arthritis Health Center , as well as the 'Tips' and 'Resources' links to the left of this page. These RA FAQs may answer some of your questions. Also, here is some good information on managing RA , a slideshow on foods that help RA , and some treatment options (including home treatment options) that may help you. Please let us know how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.