Skip to content
muscle cramps
An_258404 posted:
I was recently diagnosed with RA and am taking Arava and Lyrica. I also take tramadol for pain. Since the beginning of this I have had severe muscle cramps in my calves. Is there anything I can do to lesson them? I stretch and have my husband rub the knots out which helps. I also take magnesium and calcium supplements which the pharmacist said would help but so far nothing has really changed.

atti_editor responded:
This article has some information for treating and avoiding leg cramps that you might try. I would continue the stretching as it is one of the methods for getting rid of muscle cramps explained here . I hope these help! Please let us know how you are doing!

banditbella responded:
My husband has the same problems with severe cramping. He tried everything too. He went to a new doctor who is a "little bit country" she suggested he drink a small amount of pickle juice about 1 TBLS before he goes to bed. He has done this for about a month. He still has some cramps but not nearly as severe as before. He had the same type of cramping as you described. Hope it helps you as it has him. BTW, I too suffer from RA since 1999.

wendyj12 replied to banditbella's response:
Thanks! I will give the pickle juice a try. You have RA? Is it under control? How do you know it is under control? I've been in pain so long I don't remember what my old self felt like. Will I get back to being pain free?

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 42 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.