Skip to content
Painful Swollen Feet
mayacmt posted:
Is it common to have swelling from RA for as long as a month with out any relief? I have a mild case of lupus and was diagnosed with RA in my left foot this past month. My foot has been swollen for a month and I don't know if this is normal with RA. PLEASE HELP!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Joseph310 responded:
Don't know if it's normal but,I have had both feet swollen for as long as 6 months. Joe,

DIYSTER responded:
Hello Joe, Well, I have RA and I've had problems with very painful, swollen feet. In my most recent flare up I could not put shoes on (only flip flops) and it felt like I was walking directly on my bones. Oddly enough, yesterday my left foot was giving me the problem and I had to take a little extra Prednisone. (It isn't always both feet for me.)

There are others here who have expressed similar problems. Check out some of the other posts to read their stories and suggestions on comfortable footwear.

shirleyboon responded:
Hi, don't know if my experience will help you but I was diagnosed with RA about 3 years ago, but probably had it longer. My left foot also was affected and I would have swelling most of the time, I can not take anti inflammatory drugs due to the fact that I am allergic to ASA which is in most of them. They tried injecting cordicone into my feet and it would help for a short time. I have just had surgery on my left foot which they removed most of the joints which were all damaged. My right foot is half gone but they will wait until it goes before they do the same. I have pins, screws and plates in my foot now and will be going back to the doc in 3 weeks and hopefully I will be able to walk properly, He said I will have no flexability in my foot but no big deal as long as I can walk. I sympathize with you, but I will say, don't let it get you down. Life is too good and short. I always feel that I am fortunate when I see others with no legs or feet. Keep your chin up and grit you teeth...............Shirley B.

mayacmt responded:
Thank you Shirley. You're right, it could be worse. It's just the not knowing and the vague answers I'm getting from the Dr's. that make it so tuff. I'll just wait it out.

linzsey responded:
this one was on time. thanks for the reminder of how blessed we are to have those painful feet!

Keeping a positive attitude through the pain is one control that we CAN have

jmontavon responded:
I am 40 years old and I have had pain in my feet for 10 years. I have worked retail on concrete for most of that time. I recently had to quit my job and another due to knee surgery and since the surgery in Feb. 2009 my right foot has been swollen terribly. My feet always hurt, and have been swollen many times, last year in the summer I noticed a raised blue spot on the top of my right foot and went to the doctor. They told me my foot was broken. I didnt even realize because it always hurt that bad. I have found if I drink a lot of water and stay away from soda that the swelling gets a little better. It helps with the circulation. When I drink my 32 oz water bottle everyday for about a week then the swelling seems to get better. If I stop for a day or two it comes right back. My Doctor just took an MRI of both feet, I will find out how bad they are this week. Let us all pray for a cure!!

stina0601 responded:
Yes you can have swelling that lasts awhile without any relief... usually means there is a flare up. I recently went through one that lasted about a month. It affected both of my feet. Like someone else said, flip flops were the only relief. I eventually found relief, but my feet are still tender every now and then.

Loirann responded:
This is something I had no ideal RA would do. My legs/feet have swollen so bad that it looked like it would crack open and fluids just leak out. Red legs from swelling. My feet would hurt so bad that I couldn't hardly place any pressure on the floor to walk..grit teeth walking. I was in my early 20's when they said I had arthritis. Not what type, just arthritis and doc gave me a pill. At the the time I worked split shifts, double shifts, 8-10days at a time to put a roof/food on the table. Hubby/ex now would quit work on a dime. I had a small child at home and babysitted/trade so not to pay a sitter... My legs hurt down to the bone. Swelling of hands, etcetc.. I had no time for Arthritis and threw the meds away. I just would not accept having it due to life being the way it was then. I was clueless, worked hard and could not give into it. Now, I am going to be 50 and they finially said , yep RA But not dx with tests, but systems etc....Neg RF tests everytime. So swelling is with RA, hun...learn something today. Now I know. I thought it was just me and diet or just something else. I lived with this for a long long time. I have wondered if I didn't have this in my teens. Thanks for putting up this thread.

I feel for everyone that has to deal with pain in feet. It makes your whole body ache . I have tenderness on the top of my feet..as well as the pain. shoes are a problem. Thank you, but hope you all get less in pain..hugs Lori

beckystewart2962 responded:
yes it can. I am right now in what I call a flare. My left foot looks like a plump raisin. I live with this pain for months. Shoes are not even in my vocublary. Can walk when I do I cry cause it feels like I am walking on my bones. Tender to the touch. I have been swollen for 3 weeks now. So what you are feeling and what you have is normal with RA. I hope I can go back into remission real soon.

charlene1966 replied to beckystewart2962's response:
My left foot has been swollen for about 3 weeks. It hurts all the way through my foot. My RA doctor said it was probably a side effect of my humira; however, I'm doing pretty good on this med (other than the swollen foot). My thing is that it seems odd to me that only my left foot hurts and is swollen. Seems like if it was from the Humira, both feet would hurt.? Anyway, I did buy 3 pair of shoes, 2 pair of Clarks and 1 pair of Ryka (for women). My doctor told me to wear stockings and closed toe shoes. IDK...I am wondering if this is from the arthritis or if something else is going on.

Charlene

Katie006 replied to charlene1966's response:
In the beginning before I knew I had RA my left foot was swollen and so painful..I went to a foot doctor and he gave me a injection in the foot..{ they numb the area }..The swelling went down and came back a few weeks later..I repeated the injection and it has been one year and no swelling..

charlene1966 replied to Katie006's response:
I have decided that I MUST go see my primary doctor tomorrow about this foot. He may not do anything but I have to make sure there isn't something else going on. My foot hurts so bad that I can't put pressure on it.

grandma5x3 replied to charlene1966's response:
I too have had swollen feet(have ra for 1 1/2 yrs) but I found that foods with sulfites, caffeine, make is worse. Its like a allergic reaction. Try to stay away from ALL preservatives. It helps for me. When I eat something, other than organic my first reaction is my feet. I've had times were I couldn't wear my sneakers, had to wear crocs. I've switched to organic foods, its expensive and very hard watching everyone eat the good foods, but they're not experiencing the pain. Good luck! grandma5x3

charlene1966 replied to grandma5x3's response:
Ok everyone...I went to my primary care doc today. He x-rayed my left foot and to my surprise and his...it's broke. I have NO clue how it happened. He said that with the RA and all the potent meds I'm on my bones are probably pretty brittle...anyway, this explains my foot pain. On a positive note, it will heal up....something to be thankful for.
Charlene

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.