Skip to content
Does the Fatigue ever go away?
Kristekay posted:
Hi all, I have been on treatment and was diagnosed in July of this year. I am finally having an improvement in pain and mobility. I think back to 4-6 months ago when I couldn't work, drive a car, or even wash my own hair! :sheepish: Now I am doing better with pain but I have ZERO energy. I can barely make it through my day which is slightly demanding. Does anyone have any suggestions for the fatigue? I am 36 and feel like I am acting like a 75 year old! I told my doctor and she kinda didn't address it like it wasn't important. I guess it isn't important compared to what I was dealing with. It is hard to exercise and I feel like the steroids are making me gain weight! :eek: I am on a taper with the steroids- could that be it? Or is it just the RA in general?

DIYSTER responded:
As you have guessed, there are several factors contributing to fatigue but mostly it comes from your immune system being in extreme overdrive. And yes, among other undesirable side effects, weight gain is typical with steroids. I gained about 20 pounds :pbpt: while on Prednisone for 8 months. And it doesn't come off easily when you can't do strenuous exercise. :sad: I have since developed a special relationship with SALADS! For fatigue I've found a few things that work for me that may help you. 1) if you are really tired, rest - that can be simply sitting or laying down for 10 minutes or even take a nap - and try to get as much sleep as you can. The latter is best because that's when your body heals itself - in deep sleep. 2) exercise actually does give you more energy. start off with a few minutes of gentle stretching but don't overdo. 3) i have found Noni juice to be very helpful with fighting fatigue and also keeping my digestive tract in order. if the digestive tract is slow, you tend to feel fatigued. 4) in a pinch when you absolutely must go on, an energy drink works, such as Red Bull (that one works best for me) I know what you mean about feeling 40 years older than you are - been there. Now that I have most of my symptoms under control I only feel 15 years older than I am. :wink:

1966nikki responded:
Oh I hope it does and soon. I have been half asleep and in a fog for 6 months and have struggled for the last 2 years. Just showering and getting ready to go to somewhere now is plenty for me. If I over do it, I am down for 2-3 days. Wow it amazes me, what now takes, it seems all day I use to do in a half hour. Thank god I have a patient husband! I seem to need a 2 hour nap early evening as well, almost like a clock now. I have since started sleeping pills and this has made a world of difference as I use to be awake all night in pain and then exhausted all day and then start all over. It has really helped now that I am sleeping at night better. Sweet dreams everyone. heres to a good nights sleep :goofy:

WIPitGood13 responded:
Good evening Kristekay, I am so glad your pain is getting under control, isn't it great!!!! When I started climbing out of that cellar, it was such a relief ... I would do anything to NOT go back there, literally. I had a rough time getting through the fatigue, and other person's including you might have heard me harp about diet, but after all the drugs, home remedies, creams, and any other thing to improve my pain and fatigue, nothing has worked as well for me than my new food plan. I actually have enough energy to work out, and I feel very blessed that is the case right now. I am now losing weight, and even though I have quite a bit to go, I am really confident I can make it there now. I wish this as well for you, as well as everyone else on this message board. (just for the record, I really think it's the RA that makes so exhausted, not the drugs themselves ... but prednisone definitely made me puffy and gain weight) I wish you well Kristekay, I know you will find the right balance with your fatigue, and keep trying to get as much rest as you can until your body gives you the okay to exercise a little. God bless you, take care and be well! WIP

Andybear12 responded:
In my experience, it is the RA causing the fatigue and it does go away. I used to almost fall asleep on my way home from work every day! I'd even take a nap at lunch time because I just couldn't keep my eyes open...falling alseep at my desk at work. The fatigue was horrible. Somehow (I guess thanks to ALL the drugs I take) I'm over the fatigue and it only comes back every now and again. I just have pain and swelling now. I almost wish I could go back on prednisone, it was the only time I truly felt well enough to exercise. I do water aerobics twice a week and then about 30-40 minutes of cardio the days I don't go do water. I think the other post said it right, that she developed a special relationship with salads. It just seems no matter how you do it (exercise and diet) the RA just makes everything that much more difficult. But don't let it beat you, keep plugging along and live your life to the fullest! Good luck! :grin:

fantum responded:
what are you on and for how long? some of the disease modifiers and biologicals are SUPPOSED to help with the fatigue. never have for me. The only thig that ever helped that was prednisone. That's like being on meth for me! can't sleep! my doc says it's chronic disease anemia and since my iron is not deficient it can't be treated. Do you sleep well? for how many hours? are you still working? You may just need to get to be d earlier and get as much as 10-12 hours sleep a night!! That's how much I need.

Kristekay responded:
Thanks for all your input! I'll try to answer some questions that were brought up: I am on enbrel and prednisone at this time. I was on methotrexate and it did not help at all so, the doctor took me off it. Because of that I was stuck relying on the steroids for a longer period of time, till the enbrel had a chance to work. So, I am still trying to slowly taper off. I am working now for the last 3-4 months. Prior to that I couldn't work and was on short term disability. I do sleep 7-8 hours per night. It is hard for me to get more sleep than that because I have to be up at 5:30 AM so, I'd have to go to bed at 8 and it is too loud at my house to sleep that early. I try to nap when I can, but that never seems to happen or someone wakes me as soon as I fall asleep: phone, door, whatever.. I cannot sleep without taking benadryl or a sleeping pill. I take the benadryl for the itchy spot I get from the enbrel shot. I try to exercise when I am not in pain. My hips and hands are the worst which makes it hard to do any weights. I try to walk the dog and ride my exercise bike. BUT I AM STILL SOOOOO TIRED ALL THE TIME!!!! :eek:

Safelyon responded:
Been officially diagnosed for about two years now, probably had it for longer. The fatigue doesn't seem to let up. However, "giving in to it" makes me not do anything and feel guilty about it all the time. It also doesn't help with the depression. I have found a regimen of resting about twice a day, usually including a short nap, then making my self get up and get busy the rest of the time really helps. A good discussion with your spouse also helps. My wife did not understand that fatigue comes with the disease. Now that I have given her some materials to read and we have discussed, she is a big help in getting me off my keaster when needed and making me rest as I should. Hope this might help.

kalvis responded:
I have RA and fibro. I take methotrexate once a week and it has helped me tremendously. I am no longer on Prednisone. I also take Plaquenil, Mobic and Folic Acid. I was diagnosed with RA and fibro last March. I have continued to work full time as a registered nurse. I have fought fatigue for a very long time but I find that with the help of Ambien at night (5 mg) I am able to sleep. If it were not for that, I believe I would be so uncomfortable that I would not be able to sleep. I bought a feather mattress cover for my bed and that helps me a lot. I have 4 dogs but only walk 2 of them and only when I am up to it. I have a Wii and do the yoga on it for stretching. I recently went through a 4 month physical therapy program at the University of Arkansas at Medical Sciences which was a blessing to me. They worked with me twice weekly to get me moving again without pain. They tought me how to continue this program after I completed their therapy. If I do not do the stretches daily that they taught me, I am uncomfortable. I am fortunate that where I work, we have a small gym and I can at any time go there and ride the eliptical machine (15 minutes) or lay out on the mat and stretch. I would be happy to share the information I have regarding the stretching regimen if anyone is interested. I still get exhausted during the day don't get me wrong, but I am in so much better shape than I was last March. They thought I had Lupus at first and the lab work came back and showed RA. I was totally shocked. My daughters (only 1 left at home now) didn't understand and neither do my parents who live in another state. So I dealt with it alone which was very depressing but some how I got through it. I think having a good bond with your rheumy is important. My pain is mostly in my hips and hands and I feel the rainy days make my pain worse. This winter has been especially hard on me as well because in Arkansas we have had lots of very extreme cold days and ice and I hear we are to get snow next week. I know I will be miserable and have to dress in layers especially on my legs to get comfortable. I eat healthy and have lost 11.5 pounds recently and I think that has helped me feel better. I drink lots of water as well. I decided that since I had no one else in my life that was going to help me that I had better take control and do something or I would be disabled soon. So I use the meds and take them religiously as prescribed. If I am late taking them or skip a day I can tell the difference in my pain. I am not pain free of course but I can make it through my day now. For the really bad days, I take 1/2 hydrocodone or Ultram and Skelaxin. Those meds do help. The Wii is wonderful because I can do it in the privacy of my home when I feel up to it. Stretches help me more than walking or riding a bike or working out on machines. If you have any other questions for me or if I can help in any way whatsoever, please write me back.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 42 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.