Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Having a flareup and just wanted to vent
53Debbie posted:
Hi, I joined today and no one in my family or any of my friends have ra. They seem understand to a point, but then either they get angry that I "always dont feel good" or they make jokes. I wish one day, they could walk (or try to walk) in my shoes and see how this feels. I was diagnosed 3 years ago with ra, and my rheumy aggressively medicated me. Folic acid, methotrexate, enbrel, prednisone - everything worked great at first and it was as though the ra had disappeared. I did not care about side effects or health problems from any of these medications, I was just happy to be me again. But then, the flare ups started. It felt like I had a broken wrist, ankle and fingers. The only good thing about this disease was losing weight. But then my rheumy increased the prednisone which helped but it also increased my appetite. It was funny to see who would win, my stomach that was always hungry or my legs that could not walk to the kitchen because they felt paralyzed. A couple of months ago my doctor switched me from enbrel to cimzia because the enbrel seemed to stop working. I guess its too early, but i dont feel any benefit from the cimzia. I stand on my feet all day at work and do not want to quit and collect disability because of this. Even though some days its painful, I enjoy being out of the house and being around people who make me laugh. The flare ups come back more often than before. Right now, my ankle is swollen, my knee is so swollen that I cant bend it, and my fingers, three are swollen. Also feeling like I have the flu never stops. I dont sleep well because its hard to find a comfortable position. Has anyone been on cimzia or what medications have helped? I am 53 but feel like I am 103.

Pollysue22 responded:
Debbie,

I am the same age as you and I have had RA and Psorisis for about 5 years now - I gave in just this past week to both my Rhumy and PCP I am off work on disability for a trial period of three months- I miss working but I do not miss being so fatigued all of the time, it has only been 4 days but I must say being able to rest as needed is wonderful!
I am new to this site today - I used to post on the Arthritis Foundation website, but they have done some funky stuff to the website and now I cannot log on... hoping to find support here.

I have no experience with the meds you are on, but I am also starting a new mediation tomorrow - Orencia, I have failed both Remicade and Humira, I also take Mtx, folic acid, vit D and lots of Ibuprophin!

Susn

53Debbie replied to Pollysue22's response:
Hi Susan:

Me too! - I had responded to someone's post on the Arthritis Foundation but got frustrated when I could not log back in. Today my knee is so swollen. I hope my doctor is in (Memorial Day Weekend) and I can see her. I dont think I can get my shot of cimzia because of the swelling. I was taking Advil Liquid Gels but then I started spotting like I was getting my period again so I stopped. I dont know, my fingers hurt just typing this. I hate these flare ups. I am going to ask my doctor about the Orencia. For me it was either cimzia or simponi and she chose the cimzia. I called in sick today and feel guilty that I did even though I know I could not stand on my feet all day. I hope the Orencia works for you.

aw410 responded:
Hi, I'm new too, just needed to find people who feel the same, people just don't understand, so its good to know I'm not alone. I just turned 59 and feel old too...somedays its so hard..I've gained weight and can't get it off from the prednisone...I am in the process of applying for disability, don't want to, but finding it so hard to do my job well. My hands and wrists are the worst and the fatigue...but what can we do..Just have to keep going...glad I found this site...

RAWarrior responded:
You're right about being 40 or 50 and feeling 100. And no one getting it!
Debbie, I have talked to other people who use cimzia & like it. There's really now way yet to know whether a Biolgic will work for you until you try it. It is best to keep taking the methotrexate with it because it is recommended to work best that way. Good luck to you!

Kelly :D

feedingwell responded:
Oh my goodness, know what you mean. Can't count the times I've even said to my own mother (who's 66), you mean, this doesn't hurt? I often feel about 70 when I'm only in my mid 30's. Yikes.

luckRO responded:
Debbie, I am experiancing the same thing you are. I feel for you. I don't know how you are able to work. I had to quit last year. Did you know that under the People With Disabilities Act, your employer is REQUIRED to provide you with at least a place to sit down?! They cannot fire you for requesting conditions that make you more comfortable. Also, if nothing works to send your RA into remission, there is nothing wrong with asking for a narcotic.NO, rheumys do not like to give them--but, hey, you have the right. Bev

luckRO replied to luckRO's response:
Debbie, I forgot to mention in my last post that Walmart sells a brand of knee braces (maybe other kinds, too) that are made for women. They help. I'm goin to ask my doc about some of the new, presciption anti inflammatories. I have found, that as OTC go, Alleve is best. Bev

luckRO replied to luckRO's response:
The name of the braces is, Wellgate. Bev

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.