Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sticker shock!
NE_Rosie posted:
Gosh, now that I am injecting Enbrel and Methotrexate I am not a fan of injections! Can anyone tell me how to make the 2 shots any easier? I've been injecting Metho since October, but this is only my 2nd shot of Enbrel. My Rhummy has me injecting on the same day (today) does everyone inject on the same day?? My husband did the initial shot of Enbrel last week in the back of my arm, but I thought I would be adventurous and do them both myself one in each leg (he isn't home yet)-mistake! Also Enbrel is pre-filled syringes and there was a huge air bubble at the end is this normal? I did not inject it all because I saw the air bubble. Help!

baytan2 responded:
Hi NE_Rosie, I have been on Humira for nearly a year and it's not so bad. My daughter gave my first injection but I have been doing them since. I don't mind the actual stick but the medication itself stings and burns. However I have found that if I let the med sit out of the refrigerator for about an hour until it comes to room temperature that it doesn't sting quite as bad. Also the syringes are filled with the air bubble to ensure that all the med is injected. I take methotrexate tablets so I don't have to worry about that one. But I do inject vitamin B12 every month so I guess I'll just try to get used to the sticks. I know that I would rather take the shots than suffer the horrible symptoms that I was having before I was diagnosed. I had to have my daughters help me to the bathroom. The pain was excruciating. I NEVER want to go through that again. Just try and give yourself some time to get used to the shots and I hope that you find it gets easier after awhile. Happy and healthful thoughts to you.

NE_Rosie replied to baytan2's response:
Thanks Baytan2! Enbrel stings as well, but I do leave it out for about 30 minutes and that seems to help. I have decided my hubby will have to be home on time on Fridays so he can do that shot. I am used to the metho as it does not sting like Enbrel. I have noticed 2 weeks in and the Enbrel is helping a little. Heck, at this point a stinging injection would be worth some relief. Thanks again for your reply...Rosie :)

HuskerKittyCat responded:
Try icing the area before and after your shot. I heard it helps, i havent tried it but i think i will when i get started on the Humira. Look for my email to you on yahoo. Good luck with the enbrel.

NE_Rosie replied to HuskerKittyCat's response:
Thanks! I sent you a reply. Icing? I'd like to have some from a wedding cake?! ;) Oh wait, not the same eh?

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Rheumatoid Arthritis infographic
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a debilitating condition that can cause inflammation and pain in the joints . In this infographic you will be ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.