Skip to content
New to this site and RA
KittenKandy20 posted:
Hello, I'm Ari and new to this site and was diagnosed with RA/Scleroderma/Hashimoto's disease almost a year ago. I'm pretty much at a loss and was hoping I could find some help and maybe some comfort from people who understand what I'm going through.

I am concerned about my medications and such. I have taken methotrexate (oral), Arava and now I'm currently on Enbrel, and pred but my Rheumie may start Methotrexate injections this week. I had suggested the Methotrexate injections b/c he had recommended using an IV treatment called Cytoxan. I read up on it and I'm very VERY nervous about it. Does anyone have any side effects to the enbrel/methotrexate cocktail? Methotrexate alone stopped working after 6 weeks and the enbrel after 5 weeks still has no effect on me except a RAGING headache seconds after injections.

My questions are...Is anyone on Cytoxan or Simponi and what are your views on it? Is anyone on the Enbrel/Methotrexate combo and having weird side effects or seeing that it works well? And is anyone having strange G.I. problems along with RA/Scleroderma?

Thank you in advance for you views.
Ari

NE_Rosie responded:
Hi Ari I currently am on methotrexate (injection-have been since Nov last year) and have started Enbrel. I have had no side effects I know of so far. Other than taking 2 shots on the same day I have seen nothing. Infact 2 weeks into Enbrel and I am optimistic as my feet have finally started to come back to life-they were the worst. They usually are numb, tingling and painful. Also I can climb stairs and I haven't been able to do that since this all began. Good luck to you! I'm very hopeful the metho/enbrel combo is the right one....Rosie

lcover responded:
Hi Ari, I'm newly diagnosed and I've already had some bad experiences with the first two meds they put me on. They started me on Methotrexate and I had horrible depression. They lowered the dose and gave me folic acid and Leucavorin for side effects. I also had hair loss (folic acid helped) and then eventually got a lung infection so I had to stop.

Recently they put me on Enbrel and for the last three weeks I have felt horrible. I was supposed to take an injection on Wednesday and couldn't do it. The Physician's Assistant said that what I was experiencing was not related to the meds (but I feel differently). They are now suggesting Plaquenil or Simponi. I'm leaning towards Simponi and have been looking for others who have experience with it.

Hopefully you are doing well with the treatment you are on now. Feel free to give an update.

Take care!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Rheumatoid Arthritis infographic
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a debilitating condition that can cause inflammation and pain in the joints . In this infographic you will be ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.